Newbee - Gas Gas Jt35 Help

acealuk

Hi All ,

I'm a Newbee to the trials scene , i have recently purchased a JT35 trial , non runner , but all there , i think ,

I believe that its a 1995 model , but dont know a lot about them , im new to trials , it has a broken kickstart shaft , which i think was a weak point on this model , i have another complete kickstart shaft , return spring from a kawasaki which i contemplating fitting after opening up the shaft hole in the clutch casing , and obtaining new seal , i would like to open discussion in general on this model with anybody that has one or had one , where can i obtain spares ? , UK , and any other useful hint and tips ,

the bike has good compression , not sure on the cooling system , implellar seems OK , although the system was dry when i collected the bike , looks like its had a new fan unit though , any help or tips would be much apprciated ,

Dont want to waffle on too much at this stage until i know i'm in the right place ,

My name is Alan , i'm been riding bikes all my life , and like to take on projects from time to time ,( money and time Permitting) ,

Anyway ill check back later , thanks

• Like 1

Hi and welcome.

I have a 95 jt320 which has the same 350 engine, and yes it does have a lot of compression. I ride mine all the time in the novice route, think I've had it about three years now, I wouldn't say that it's smooth but it has loads of power. I posted a picture of it in the Gallery section under muddy gasgas. I rode a trial yesterday that had us riding through mud slurry that was deeper the engine cases. (and my boots)

Most parts are still available from Gas Gas UK.

TLTEL

Hi All ,

I'm a Newbee to the trials scene , i have recently purchased a JT35 trial , non runner , but all there , i think ,

I believe that its a 1995 model , but dont know a lot about them , im new to trials , it has a broken kickstart shaft , which i think was a weak point on this model , i have another complete kickstart shaft , return spring from a kawasaki which i contemplating fitting after opening up the shaft hole in the clutch casing , and obtaining new seal , i would like to open discussion in general on this model with anybody that has one or had one , where can i obtain spares ? , UK , and any other useful hint and tips ,

the bike has good compression , not sure on the cooling system , implellar seems OK , although the system was dry when i collected the bike , looks like its had a new fan unit though , any help or tips would be much apprciated ,

Dont want to waffle on too much at this stage until i know i'm in the right place ,

My name is Alan , i'm been riding bikes all my life , and like to take on projects from time to time ,( money and time Permitting) ,

Anyway ill check back later , thanks

Welcome, Alan.

Let us know when you get it running. Trials bikes are surprizingly durable.

Cheers.

Jon

Which part of the kick starter is broken? The shaft coming through the side cover or the arm that comes up from the pivot outside the cover (kick lever)?

If it is just the kick lever, I would look to change that and not have to risk getting the shaft and seal to work correctly from a different bike.

If you are going to alter the shaft and side cover, I hope you are a good machinist.

Hi and welcome.

I have a 95 jt320 which has the same 350 engine, and yes it does have a lot of compression. I ride mine all the time in the novice route, think I've had it about three years now, I wouldn't say that it's smooth but it has loads of power. I posted a picture of it in the Gallery section under muddy gasgas. I rode a trial yesterday that had us riding through mud slurry that was deeper the engine cases. (and my boots)

Most parts are still available from Gas Gas UK.

TLTEL

Thanks For the reply , its good to know that my bike isnt a one of a kind , ill keep you upto date with progress if i need a photo or 2 to guide me from your bike how you fixed ?

Alan

Which part of the kick starter is broken? The shaft coming through the side cover or the arm that comes up from the pivot outside the cover (kick lever)?

If it is just the kick lever, I would look to change that and not have to risk getting the shaft and seal to work correctly from a different bike.

If you are going to alter the shaft and side cover, I hope you are a good machinist.

Thanks for Reply , its the shaft thats broken , and i havnt found anywhere to supply another from this model hence looking at the alternative fix unless you know of source for spare part, i have some contacts in engineering , so wouldnt be a problem with that side , its all the other stuff , fuel mix , gear oil , cooling system etc , what to use , how much ,

Thanks for Reply , its the shaft thats broken , and i havnt found anywhere to supply another from this model hence looking at the alternative fix unless you know of source for spare part, i have some contacts in engineering , so wouldnt be a problem with that side , its all the other stuff , fuel mix , gear oil , cooling system etc , what to use , how much ,

The kickstart shaft may be the same for 1993-2004 TXT models (250cc and larger GT/JT/JTR/JTX/TXT/'Edition' models) Confirm with the parts microfiche. http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals.html

1995 JT35 part #MO2611002 http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/download-1995jt35partsbook1.pdf.html

1997 JTX part #MO2611004 http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/download-1997jtxpartsbook1.pdf.html (Note part# change, confirm if interchangeable)

2001 TXT part#MT27836003 http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/download-2001_txtpro_partlist1.pdf.html (Note part# change for 1998 onward, confirm if interchangeable)

Thanks For the reply , its good to know that my bike isnt a one of a kind , ill keep you upto date with progress if i need a photo or 2 to guide me from your bike how you fixed ?

Alan

Here's my JT35: http://www.trialscen..._30#entry333722 I found another one for sale withing 2-hours from me...

Edited by seavoyage

Hi Acealuk.

just ask if you need anything specific, mine came to me with a snapped kickstart lever although the shaft was fine.

It still has the original 14mm shaft and it has'nt been a problem but I think it was common in the day to convert to a 16mm shaft off the later model.

I am sure mine is the same as my sons 94 jt125 although I have not studied the internal parts.

I think you would be able to pick up a used one, there are usually a few bike being broken on Ebay.

I have fitted an extra cylinder base gasket, that does make it slightly easier to start.

TLTEL

The kickstart shaft may be the same for 1993-2004 TXT models (250cc and larger GT/JT/JTR/JTX/TXT/'Edition' models) Confirm with the parts microfiche. http://www.gasgasmot...en/manuals.html

1995 JT35 part #MO2611002 http://www.gasgasmot...sbook1.pdf.html

1997 JTX part #MO2611004 http://www.gasgasmot...sbook1.pdf.html (Note part# change, confirm if interchangeable)

2001 TXT part#MT27836003 http://www.gasgasmot...tlist1.pdf.html (Note part# change for 1998 onward, confirm if interchangeable)

Here's my JT35: http://www.trialscen..._30#entry333722 I found another one for sale withing 2-hours from me...

Thanks for info and links , have rang around today UK , but no luck sourcing spares , but ill check out the options you suggest , have taken a look at your bike , yep nice , and its has confirmed what i have ! ,

Great Info , and ill let you know how i get on ,

Alan

Hi Acealuk.

just ask if you need anything specific, mine came to me with a snapped kickstart lever although the shaft was fine.

It still has the original 14mm shaft and it has'nt been a problem but I think it was common in the day to convert to a 16mm shaft off the later model.

I am sure mine is the same as my sons 94 jt125 although I have not studied the internal parts.

I think you would be able to pick up a used one, there are usually a few bike being broken on Ebay.

I have fitted an extra cylinder base gasket, that does make it slightly easier to start.

TLTEL

I think the original shaft is 16mm , and there is a conversion kit to take it to 18mm , but the price is too much , so i think i will persue my own route to install Kickstart assembly from Kawasaki , all of the gear and return sprint are identical , the external shaft is slightly longer but i think it will do the job , just need to source a new Seal , i also suspect the water pump need some TLC , oil was grey , and water system dry when i drained the oil ,

do you know what goes on the pump , i see that a seal and shaft are available as spares , ive not tested existing yet , but with teh case off i could rig up a pressure test or water hose to test do you think?

anyway thanks for reply , i checked out your muddy pictures , looks like fun , i hope i can get mine sorted so i can get out there!

Alan

Alan

If you are going to do the water pump you need to change the seal and shaft, I got a kit for mine a couple of years ago, (from GGUK) and I think it included bearings as well.

I am quite sure my kickstart shaft is 14mm, good luck with the Kawasaki shaft conversion!!

TLTEL

Good that you may be able to adapt a kicker from a different bike.

You said the water system was dry. I would recommend to drain then trans oil first and check for water. The water pump seals often fail and the water end up in the trans. Water is not a very good lubricant so get it out and replace with ATF.

No doubt the carb needs a complete teardown and cleaning.

Once you get the kicker fixed, pull the plug and check for spark.

If there is spark, re-install the plug, add some fuel, BUT, before you try to start it, get the bike on a stand with the back tire off the ground. Clutches often stick to the plates when they sit for a while. If it starts with the tire on the ground, you may be in for a thrill ride with no way to stop.

Oh, and make sure the kill switch is wired up correctly.

• 2 years later...