Removing Exhaust For Tig Welding

snowball

Can anyone advise.

Just bought a 2001 315. Engine runs well, just needs some general servicing but upon closer inspection I discovered a crack on the ali frame, which really annoyed me because the seller told me there was no damage to the frame. I suppose it`s my own fault for not removing fender and tank for closer inspection. Anyway I have a contact who can TIG weld but I`m having a problem removing the expansion box from the frame. All bolts are removed and airbox is out, just seems so tight in there.

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, also having a problem opening the radiator cap. any ideas?

Thanks

post-18568-0-48398700-1371463604_thumb.jpg

Edited by snowball

Thanks, managed to get the shock off and moved the carb to the side. Have warned the guy about the electrics so here's hoping he takes precautions. Since the exhaust is off I'll clean with parafin, I think that's correct.

Here is the fix. The guy did a triple layer weld and it seems good. Removing the rear shock revealed bearings that hadn't seen grease in a while. Only slight play vertically, will have to replace in the future. Waiting for my trans oil elf 740 to arrive before starting but electrics seem good as when kicked over the plug is gives a good spark.

post-18568-0-19208000-1371711393_thumb.jpg