Engine Oil Coming Thought Cylinder

johnkennedy

Hello guys,

Ive fallen victim of the lax quality control at the beta factory

I have a 2008 rev3, has been used very occasionally over the last 4 years, up until the recently.

the stator coil gave up the ghost a few months back, so I had it rewound. I decided this to be more reliable than a replacement from beta.

as it was being re-wound, I decided to change the main bearings as they too had been making noise for some time.

(they were worn (humped) within 18month of production)... not good!!

I put up with it due to time restrictions and very very occasional riding

along with the full engine rebuild:

-headstock bearings

-shock bearings/bushes... ect

-wheel bearings

-fork seals

-new tyres

-break pads

-also added some graphics... as you do

basically a full tear down. spent hundreds on it to get it running.

to add to the main bearings and stator coil going, to finish the trio, the water pump casing has corrosion.

Bike has been running with perfection for about 5/6 weeks following the rebuild, being used on a daily basis. Never missed a beat.

For some unknown reason the bike started running really smokey (white smoke)

Felt like it was running really rich as the power at the bottom end was incredible, but anything over 1/4 throttle and had nothing to give.

I changed the two stroke mix, changed/cleaned air filter, I fiddled with carb, cleaned exhaust, took for a massive blast up some private tracks.

still smoking.

Drained the engine oil and collected about 150ml of oil.

coolant is still full.

- This leads me to think that the coolant case isn't the cause, but still possible

surely this cant mean another engine split, the only thing I can think it is is an engine seal at the main bearings has failed

- Is this possible after 100 hrs of riding with no fuss

needless to say im not overly impressed, this isn't looking good as I'll be looking for a new bike in the near future, and I don't see it being an Evo with the way major parts of this bike have broken so easily.

Well, I seriously doubt you would have better luck with dare I say.......a Gas Gas for example

It is 5 years old and storage is as hard on mechanical equipment as usage sometimes

The steering head for example likely would never wear out with proper maintenance, same with shock brgs

stator and main begs are a known issue but I have never had to rebuild mine so it's not every bike with this problem

Can't really rule out defect or incorrect installation of your main bearings/crank seals

Personally I think you are being a bit hard on the brand, these things are not Japanese, they all have their own issues, you could be on your second transmission job by now if it were a different bike

Hope you resolve the crank seal issue and can enjoy your bike

Perhaps you're right.

I'd just rather be ripped off on spare/parts that I'd broke myself (bars/levers/footpegs). than the factory saving pennies here and there on a stator or main bearings.

The bike was turned over at least once a month, and was used fairly often over summers.

Crank is now out, I'll take a look at the seals and hopefully its a simple fix from here.

I just dont imagine it can be them due to the flawless performance beforehand

New bike option between the gasgas or evo.

sherco isn't an option, although I dare say I find it the best looking bike.

It'll come down to £ at the final decision no doubt

Make up a blanking plate to block the exhaust where it bolts onto the cylinder. Drill a hole to suit a tubeless valve in the blanking plate. You can then lightly, say up to 25 psi, pressurise the cylinder and crankcase and listen for any leaks or see where the air comes out.

Make up a blanking plate to block the exhaust where it bolts onto the cylinder. Drill a hole to suit a tubeless valve in the blanking plate. You can then lightly, say up to 25 psi, pressurise the cylinder and crankcase and listen for any leaks or see where the air comes out.

thats a great idea!

engine is out, Ill take a look at the gaskets and the main bearing seal on the clutch side, as the other side is dry tomorrow.