Clutch Slip Since Oil Change Is It The Right Oil

davdeborg

cheers woody and the rest of you guys

tried woody's new starting technique and its great improvement as I was not starting it this way but thrashing it a bit .

but now getting kick start in position and gently pushing its ten times better not perfect but a lot better and feel a bit better now

knowing others slip even with new clutches.

I will admit though my plates are smooth and marked and got no punch holes on them so I think its a new clutch in the near future.

but thanks for all your help on this subject and other posts of mine

fantastic site and great guys

many thanks

my problem is never had a bultaco before had a ty175 before and beta and stuff like that and the Sherpa is different ball game I think but glad I made the move love riding the sherpa

a lot more fun and nice just to plod a long on

• Like 1

I use Barnett fiber clutch plates in all of my Sherpas, with the lightest motorcycle gearbox oil you can get hold of [ I have used Maxima and Silkolene]

I find the gearbox oils are lighter, ie lower viscosity, than ATF, and only slip for say the first two or three kicks at the start of the day when the motor is cold and never slip again during the day.

I assume that as the oil warms up the viscosity would be even lower and as such the dreaded slipping clutch disappears.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

I agree with Sherpa325. On my Sherpa I also use Barnett plates and when it is cold I have to de adjust my clutch on the lever adjuster a bit to kickstart from cold. As soon as it starts I can adjust it back to where it was and ride with no clutch slip. If I don`t it will slip like crazy and takes heaps of kicks to start and you also have to kick firmly without being harsh and just ease into the kick not just go whack. Graham.

• Like 1