Has A Cowboy Been At My Clutch ?

davdeborg

• 1 year later...

woody, on 25 Jul 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Guys, I wasn't trying to prove you were wrong, it's just that the Haynes manual says one way and the Clymer says the other, but the proper Bultaco manual would show how they came from the factory.

I have Barnett friction plates which are thicker than the standard steel plates, but I fit them slightly different from how you do it. I still use the steel drive plate as the first plate in the clutch but only use 4 of the Barnett plates with one of the original Bultaco steel plates to get the pressure plate in the correct position. Same result, just a different method.

When fitting a set of Barnett plates to a 199a am I correctly understanding the above, use 4 not 5 Barnett plates so 1 of the 5 supplied will remain unused then a steel plate first up to the clutch drum then a Barnett plate and so on?

I have found that when fitting Barnett plates, by micrometer thickness of old clutch pack, and matching with 4 friction always

and using only 4 springs, you must start as Woody says, an earless plate unless you really enjoy kicking with the clutch slipping.

Steel clutches can give a hard way to go sometimes. Pin clutches can be tough.

Good Luck

Larry

Edited by lbhbul

Does anyone know which of the two clutch assembly illustrations is correct please? The clutch kit sold by BultacoUK/InMotion has 5 steel plates & 4 friction plates so that would mean a steel plate would go first as on the 2nd of Guys postings then finishing with a steel plate under the pressure plate.

Edited by trialsrfun

on the ones iv'e had from inmotion steel plate first and steel on the end that's how iv'e always done it had a few clutches from inmotion. my 199B is still on metal plates and work fine i just got the barnet plates as a back up. i followed john moffets advice on setting the clutch up and works very well indeed. but i have not touched the clutch on my 199B has it's sorted only thing i did was put new clutch case on it and a gasket also noticed the lock wire was broke so i replaced it. i have new clutch cable to replace the old 1

Overall thickness of original pack must be matched as close as possible.

This is important! Especially on a pin clutch. Measure with proper tools.

The only thing that does not change is the first plate is driven (earless).

Whatever plate that is against the pressure plate does not matter.

The Barnetts pack is usually about half a plate thinner in my experience.

Larry