Bultaco Sherpa Model Id

tex81

Hi all, I am currently in the process of restoring a bike to ride in local trials. It has been in our family for many years (passed down from my Dad) and i have decided to get back into some twinshock riding. From the engine and frame numbers i have established that the bike is a Bultaco Sherpa T 350 (model 125) from 1974. I have spent hours researching this model online and cannot find a similar looking bike. The similar models online usually have different tank/seat unit, silencer mudguards etc. Many also seem to be in red rather than blue. Just wondering how much of this bike people believe is original and are the tank/seat unit and 'boomerang' shaped silencer part of the 'kit campeon' that i think was available for other models around this time. Any thoughts/info greatly appreciated. I have included a photograph showing the bike before the restoration began. Thanks in advance for any info.

post-18825-0-23452400-1376909408_thumb.jpg

Back in the day my Dad would change his Bultaco around, ever time a new tank/seat, frame, wheels would come on the market. So I would not worry about the fact that your bike does not look like what came out of the factory. It's a piece of family history. Get it running and have fun.

The tank seat unit isn't a recognised Bultaco one.

But, I had a basket case model 92 a few years ago which came with an identical tank to yours (sold the bike on) Yours is the only other one I've seen. I'd assumed mine had been adapted from another bike to fit but no idea what. It's very similar to a Honda Seeley but they are just a shelter that fit over an alloy tank. Mine was all fibreglass.

Maybe someone was making aftermarket tank units for Sherpas that have long been forgotten about.

Whatever it is, they fit the Sherpa pretty well.

The boomerang silencer was fitted to bikes around 1974 so it's fine for your bike if you're bothered about period fitments. The bike is in original condition apart from the tank and mudguards.

The Boomerang silencer looks like it has had a straight round tube extension welded onto it where it joins the first silencer which has forced it to be mounted further to the rear than it should be, by a couple of inches. Looks like a pretty reasonable purchase- these are a really good looking bike in the original colours and great to ride when set up correctly, well done.

Cheers Greg

• 9 months later...