Newbie With 2 X Montesa Cota 247... Light Restoration In Progress

mboon

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, nice little update.

As some will know, I put the bike in with a mechanic I know, we left it that he would take it apart, see what is needed and give me a call to discuss. I dropped it off Friday around 4.30 and was not expecting anything until the tail end of next week.

10.30 Saturday morning I get a call from the mechanic saying it was ready for collection... Shocked was a understatement. So managed to grab the work van and collect the bike, £35 lighter she started first time!

He found a few little things that need to be addressed but overall very good. So in the van it went and back home. I was going to give this to my dad straight away but had an afternoon of Karting and just didn't have time so put it in my back garden and went karting.

Later that evening I wheeled the bike over to my dads without him noticing and kicked her into life! His face said it all :)

So after a good chin wag and some ideas we are putting our heads together and starting to tidy the bike up.

So today I got the bike back at mine (I live across the road), removed the fibre glass petrol tank cover and sprayed the bike down with WD40, I let this sink in while I was getting the pressure washer ready

9645361622_f3ff0e6c34_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restore by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9642119591_3198c61b48_c.jpg

9642109685_182d02b53a_c.jpg

9642107073_c8b0a4b746_c.jpg

9645338380_fdbc923cdc_c.jpg

9642080121_57114afd00_c.jpg

Well done Mark

The rubber joint on the exhaust is probably missing, mine was. And yes they do smoke a bit, mine is now running on a synthetic oil premix at 3% and hardly smokes at all.

Get it properly lubed up and clean &adjust the brakes then get out and give it a try, you'll love it !

I'm just out for a practice on mine :-)

Dave

I forgot to say, the mechanic just adjusted the points and it kicked straight into life. 5 years this bike sat, very impressed.

So a few pics after it was sprayed down

9642070851_02fe3b022d_c.jpg

9642062771_b1c2c2102c_c.jpg

9642039363_731e26e357_c.jpg

Now was the time to start stripping it down until it looked like this

9642005517_dea62dd487_c.jpg

9641985429_43d2ab7250_c.jpg

Now I was going to strip this right down and get the frame blasted and sprayed.... but it looks pretty good, so now thinking of just doing a light resto on the bike and get all the metal/chrome looking a bit better.

I took a few photos of small detail on the bike

9645187046_0b1e11c8ec_c.jpg

9641945269_004d94f97b_c.jpg

I also found the frame number.... which matches the engine :)

9645180212_2f37b5cf85_c.jpg

One of the things that was highlighted by the mechanic was the pipe from the tank to the carb was too small, the fuel takes an age to prime the carb. So I will remove the fuel line from the spare bike and change it over

This is the problem hose

9641939763_44f981ed49_c.jpg

Also noticed this on the bike

9641936979_f096d80313_c.jpg

Up until 6 months ago I was Head IT Engineer for a company that supported Talon. There office is around 10 minutes from my front door, that could come in hand at some point.

So the first thing I wanted to tidy up which has bugged me since day one was the air filter box

It did look like this

9642170093_abaf468030_c.jpg

I sanded it down with wet and dry and currently sat on the table waiting to dry before I spray it. I am going to spray this Titanium Silver..... purely because I have some of this paint in the shed from our BMW. I will update once I have sprayed this item, it will take a good few coats though

9646286776_f9948feda2_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restore 2 by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9643044425_cee01070d0_c.jpg

9646276880_622f184faf_c.jpg

Next up was the exhaust, years of riding has took it's tole so off that came, sanded down and sprayed

Sanded down

9643034837_bdfe986ac1_c.jpg

A couple coats of matt black high temp paint

9646269404_24cb63219c_c.jpg

I was not happy with this, held it up to the bike and it looked rubbish against the shiny black frame. So out came my trusty can of Satin Black, after a good coat of this (it is still very wet) I think it looks a lot better than it did... although still not happy.

9643339075_a0925b7aee_c.jpg

Untitled by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9643328919_256234f4a0_c.jpg

Untitled by Mark Boon, on Flickr

While I was and still am waiting for this paint to go off I got the Autosol metal polish out. I started on the mudguards

This is the bit I was not happy with, but.... Not much I can do about it unless I buy new items... which is very tempting if they can still be had.

Can anyone tell me if the metal items I have are original items? did they come with the metal ones or plastic?

So this is a before shot, as you can see the metal is putted and really dull

9643020213_1ee898df24_c.jpg

9646254258_dc7c37e616_c.jpg

This is the stuff I am using, a good friend uses this on exhausts and its cracking stuff

9643012955_70273b2ff9_c.jpg

And this is a kind of before and after shot

9643008961_1de46767e0_c.jpg

As you can see, still plenty of room for improvement

9646236468_01e06c73e8_c.jpg

And after some elbow grease they ended up like this... well the front does.. Not started the back yet

9642952303_4b196dd71a_c.jpg

9646184550_bde2c74a07_c.jpg

Pretty tired by this point but couldn't resist seeing what the engine cover would come up like so started on this

Before

9642994893_f1859766ef_c.jpg

After

9642980691_1a1b6762fb_c.jpg

Seems to be working on the engine covers but loads of little nicks and marks in the metal which is annoying.. I must remind myself this is a trials bike and not a show car haha.

So I am just waiting for the exhaust to go off, will put another coat on that and will put the first coat on the air filter. Not sure if the titanium silver will be any good but I guess I can always sanded it back down and spray again.

I have ordered the first part for the bike as well, and thanks to Gary (Above) for pointing it out. We are missing the rubber sleeve that goes over the join on the exhaust, this was causing the smoke to come out by your leg

I also have a friend coming around today to look over the fibre glass tank cover, he is going to repair and spray for me so it should look like new again. I will also like new decals if possible? anyone know where I can get these from?

Thanks for reading, sorry about all the pics but I like detail

Cheers

Mark

Well done Mark

The rubber joint on the exhaust is probably missing, mine was. And yes they do smoke a bit, mine is now running on a synthetic oil premix at 3% and hardly smokes at all.

Get it properly lubed up and clean &adjust the brakes then get out and give it a try, you'll love it !

I'm just out for a practice on mine :-)

Dave

Cheers Dave,

We have a few bits we need to sort before we ride, rear tyre being flat is one and needs changing, have one on the spare bike but not sure I want the hassle of removing the chain etc

The wheel that is currently fitted on the back is not on straight either so that will need sorting when that comes off. Also got to clean the tank out and the filter, change the fuel hose and hope nothing else comes up. Front brake works fine but not driven to test the rear, seems to feel OK. It went up a couple gears and the clutch works fine on her. I also have to rig up a stop button of some kind.. did these come out of the factory with a stop button? if so any photos of the location and what it looks like?

thanks

Mark

Don't bother truing the wheel.

Trials bikes move so slowly you won't notice the wobble and you'll snap the spokes if you try to turn the nipples.

Avoid pressure washing. It works water into places it doesn't belong.

Nice bike! I've had a couple and they're fun.

Even dependable once sorted out.

If it has a second sparkplug hole, put a compression release in it for starting.

If you wear out a kicker gear, you will not find one.

Don't bother truing the wheel.

Trials bikes move so slowly you won't notice the wobble and you'll snap the spokes if you try to turn the nipples.

Avoid pressure washing. It works water into places it doesn't belong.

Nice bike! I've had a couple and they're fun.

Even dependable once sorted out.

If it has a second sparkplug hole, put a compression release in it for starting.

If you wear out a kicker gear, you will not find one.

Hi Charlie,

I dont think the wheel is buckled, just not put on straight. I need to get the rear wheel off her though so not going to waste time straightening until the new wheel/tyre is back on the old girl.

It does have a second spark plug hole with a bolt in. Once the fuel gets to the carb she fires really well and on the first kick. Ticks over pretty well too which is nice. Bit smokey but looking around on YouTube at others they all seem to smoke a bit.

I am trying to find somewhere local to take the bike once we have the bits sorted to start testing, see what else needs adjusting or work once she has been used for a long period. Anyone know of somewhere local to Yeovil Somerset?

I managed to get a coat of paint on the air filter box last night and another coat on the exhaust, no photos of this yet.

After sanding down the air filter box first time round and it looking like this

9646286776_f9948feda2_c.jpg

I was not happy with the finish..

So sanded it down again to bare metal, that was fun

9655350295_34f48a30e4_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restoration Paintwork by Mark Boon, on Flickr

I then got the wet and dry out and thought I would try for the standard look

9658576258_bdf5ab3b23_c.jpg

I was not happy with that so reverted back to idea number 1, titanium silver it was

9658570948_d6bf22c57e_c.jpg

9655335889_e677bc38c0_c.jpg

9655313609_41471ba845_c.jpg

I am happy with this, would of prefered OE is possible but unless I buy a new item I really could not see it happening.

The tank cover has been collected and in the process of being repaired and painted. £120 at mates rates so happy enough with that. That should come back like new. Just trying to track down some tank decals, possibly a new seat or a trim and plenty of metal polishing to keep me going. The tank itself had to go with the cover to the bodyshop due to clearence concerns after repairs etc.

The list of things I would like to get sorted cosmetics.

New decals all over

New hand grips

Re-chrome the kickstart/pedals/rear brake lever/gear changer

Connect up a kill switch - ideas needed?

change the back wheel

clean the tank out

clean the tank filter

change the fuel pipe from the tank to carb

Clean, clean clean...

What can I put nuts and bolts in to clean them up? trying to remove rust from visiable bolts... any ideas on this? was thinking vinger or coke?

Thanks

Mark

I got home to find the exhaust rubber tube waiting for me so put that on, had to put a bit of washing up liqued around to get it on but fitted well. I put the exhaust rougthly in place to get an idea

As you can see, it was dark by the time I got around to that! Spent most of my evening under a Mercedes Sprinter

9672853198_fb5114e1e5_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 trial exhaust fit by Mark Boon, on Flickr

And one of the whole exhaist loosely fitted backup just to see what it looks like. Also found a simular rubber hose for the other exhaust section

9669609507_0642ff5987_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 trial exhaust fit by Mark Boon, on Flickr

Last night I started on cleaning up the rear wheel ready for the tyre change.

It started like this

9679033145_192c852381_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restoration Wheel polish by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9682267236_5662341990_c.jpg

And finished something like this

9682220572_ca7d2ee069_c.jpg

9678989907_f5f58d1037_c.jpg

Next up was testing the theory if coke really does remove grim.

So I removed the rear brake lever and sanded down one side, not the best but gives you an idea. I left the oherside as it was. I also removed various screws and bolts that was on show and gave them the same treatment.

The part I sanded down

9679019739_52479c6029_c.jpg

And the non sanded down side

9679016999_d14254a750_c.jpg

Lets see if it can really break through heavey grim or just cleanup an already fairly clean surface

9682242408_d890a896bb_c.jpg

I have wet and dried the rear brake cover but did not get any photos after.

I still have plenty of work to do on the spokes on the rear of the bike but I cleaned a coulple down last night and they came back shiney so should look alot better once complete. The rear wheel is having the tyre replaced this weekend with a bit of luck. Only one place in my town changes bike tyres apparently! Seems odd to me considering we have a number of bike dealers.

If anyone is looking for parts, we do have a spare bike which I think will be going. It is not in the best of condition but all parts with a bit of elbo grease will clean up. It is a Ulf Karsen 247 Rep.

I am going to take a night off from the bike, wish I could say I was doing something nice but fixing the toilet is not. Might have another go Sunday

Thanks for reading, all comments good or bad welcome

Mark