Tlr250 Difficult To Get Into First Gear

not ron

I wonder if anyone can help, my TLR 250 has become difficult to get into first gear unless you are actually moving along, this can make it difficult to be sure you are not in second gear when engaging gear to go into a section. It feels like there are no more gears available by moving the lever down.

Any advice or experience appreciated, I hope it is inside the clutch cover rather than engine out and split the cases, thanks.

these clutches are very simple and easy to get to.either the plates are warped,i presume you know how to adjust cable?or the engine oil has not been changed every other trial.using mobile one does engine world of good and helps stops the clutch grapping.dont bother with any other oil.

Maxbikes, thanks for the reply but it was a shame there were no others.

I rode a trial on 18/8 and I am convinced it is a selector not a clutch problem. I have ridden this bike in about 10 trials a year since 1996 and although I experiment a lot the clutch has been stable since 2008 as Barnet springs and kelvar plates with the CG125 anti-judder kit and has not generally needed adjustment even when riding muddy trials in third gear on the clutch.

I tried it again today and even when very hot it was generally ok so I ride a trial next weekend and then decide what to do as it could be improved.

On the subject of oil specification I have been working in engine design for 35 years during which Mobil and Castrol over the years have generally supplied the best technical support to project I have been working on. I did try both Mobil and Castrol fully synthetic oils, but their technical experts recommended that the oil additive packages in their top grade Mobil 1 or Castrol RS was not generally suitable for wet clutches. For many years I have used motorcycle specific semi-synthetic 10/40 oil without an issue, I change the oil dependant on the type of event but generally about every 10 litres of fuel.

Hi. I am assuming that the 250 TLR is similar to the other small Honda singles as you are using CG clutch parts.

If you remove the clutch basket you can get at the business end of the selector shaft and the star on the end of the selector drum. Its worth inspecting these parts as they do wear and also I have known the bolt on the spring loaded arm that locates the selector star to come undone, this will cause erratic gear changing.

I would check in there before riding, as you don't want that little bolt coming out and getting mixed in with your gears.

I doubt the problem is in the gearbox its self.

TLTEL

if its ok when hot it cannot be gearbox problem.i used to ride 150/200/250 Hondas people used to moan about clutch grab when hot,i started to use mobile one oil,the problem with grab was not as bad,others tried it and agreed with me.your clutch is not clearing very well.i used ebc clutch kits.never had problem with clearing.i am a motorcycle mechanic.and would never use fully synthetic in road bikes,the oil is to thin and at high revs the oil flings of the cam shaft.i have been on Honda courses and was told about full synthetic oil.please try mobile one in your tlr.and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

TLR 250 clutches are tricky.. i used XR springs, and new Honda clutch plates..

change the oil more then normal, the 250 runs hotter then most, and breaks down the oil, the clutch will grab and stick when hot.

easy pull lever on the clutch arm helps..

my TLR has been a sticky shifter since iv owned it...the other 2 TLR 250s iv owned were as well.

get the clutch issue worked out..and youll be happier.

• 2 months later...