New To Trials - Looking At A 2001 Beta Rev 3

saluki

I'm looking into getting into trials and wondered if a 2001 Beta Rev 3 would be a good bike to start on. Are there any "issues" with this year/model? What should I be aware of when I check out this bike? I'm new, so all of this is still a mystery!

Right.jpg

As lineway says it's a 2002 model.looks clean,used to have same model,but if possible go for 2004 on model,as spares easier to get hold of,ie rear sprockets,4 bolt fixing as againt 6 on this model,rear fender is a 1 off,and stators,which is a common fault,it's a six coil on this model,which are quite rare, 4 coil on 2003/4 upwards.

Looking at the picture, it appears to be a good bike. But one picture is not really enough to give an idea. You will need to have a look and be prepared to walk away if there is any doubt, I think we have all bought bikes inthe past that perhaps we shouldn't have, remember it is very easy to spend more on a bike than it was worth in the first place.

Rev3's did suffer from Stator problems, if anything the 2004/5's were even worse, I had a new 04 that had two stators on warranty! But any 12 year old competition machine can have issues.

These rode very well and can still win at club level with the right rider on board.

Take a look but - Buy by condition.

never had a stator issue, but know of those who did..ask these questions..

what type of oil was used in the crank case?

how often was it changed?

how often did they clean the air filter.?

avoid the Revs that were run with ATF,..lots of guys swear by it,..but it swells the clutch and makes it sticky..

Auto Trac was the oil to use...not ATF..

MTL or Elf is great stuff. ride the bike.,. and use the clutch..might be sticky at first, but should work good after warm up,

if it sticks and snatches..it may need some clutch work.

check the wheels...ask is the tires go flat over nite.. getting them to seal on the rim seal is a pain..

wheel bearings...fork seals///

ask about all those and when and how they were maintained...

lack of maint, is the biggest killer of any used trials bike.. check the tail section , look at the bike from the rear, make sure the tail isnt bent to sunday...new plastics can make a crusty turd look like a sweet ride...

Great starter bike but you are buying aged so i agree with all of the above but that will be similar for a lot of models (they all have their good and bad traits). Betas were also prone to cases rotting by the water pump. Easy fix as you can buy replacements, just a bit of a pain. Found mine easy to maintain except the rear brake took 3 days to bleed. my sons sherco took 15 mins!

Ride it, see how it runs / fits... best of luck and welcome

never had a stator issue, but know of those who did..ask these questions..

what type of oil was used in the crank case?

how often was it changed?

how often did they clean the air filter.?

avoid the Revs that were run with ATF,..lots of guys swear by it,..but it swells the clutch and makes it sticky..

Auto Trac was the oil to use...not ATF..

MTL or Elf is great stuff. ride the bike.,. and use the clutch..might be sticky at first, but should work good after warm up,

if it sticks and snatches..it may need some clutch work.

check the wheels...ask is the tires go flat over nite.. getting them to seal on the rim seal is a pain..

wheel bearings...fork seals///

ask about all those and when and how they were maintained...

lack of maint, is the biggest killer of any used trials bike.. check the tail section , look at the bike from the rear, make sure the tail isnt bent to sunday...new plastics can make a crusty turd look like a sweet ride...

Thanks for the suggestions! Will do.

Current owner reports the following in answer to questions I put to him, based on Chuckindenver's suggestions:

"Oil is Elf, It's what is recommended,

I believe manual says to change the oil after 10 hours. I've only put about 3 on the bike since it was serviced. No change done yet. Ditto on the air filter.

Clutch works much better after warm up. I still don't like the clutch, but that is mainly due to this being the first bike I've had with a hydraulic clutch. Just never developed a feel for it. (Got the same problem with the rear brake, for much the same reason.)

Rear tire goes slack over time, but more like a week than overnight.

Wheel bearings, fork seals, swingarm bearings etc. were gone over by Jacks Cycle ( of South Berwick Maine, specializes in trials) after I picked up the bike. Stu replaced one lower fork leg with a spare that had come with the bike, the replaced unit had had a crack welded in the axle area. Also de-goobered the rear brake. All looks fine by me.

The bike original petcock failed, the previous owner simply added a second one inline to the first and left the old one on. Stu asked if I wanted it fixed, but agreed with me the current system works fine as it is, so we left well enough alone. Tires are worn, but not worn out in my opinion. You HAVE to shut the gas off when the bike is parked, or there is a good chance the gas will leak past the float valve."

That's about it. Seems that the bike has recieved pretty good care. He sent me a short video of the bike - started on 2nd kick and sounds good.

Question : How much does this bike weigh? If I get it, I'm going to have to haul it home in the back of my Subaru wagon! Will it fit? :unsure: How about removing the front wheel? Rear wheel? Got to get a trailer hitch quick! But first get the Beta :)

weight is around 160 give or take,.

fix the petcock...new ones are only 35.00...clutch is in and out, very little slip, you will get used to it, after market levers {asv} will help.

brakes , same thing..

leaky rear tire will only get worse...hopefully not before you need a new rear tire...replace the rim seal when you get a new rear tire, and have someone thats done a trials rim seal help...or you will hate life that day.

borrow a pickup...Rev 3 rear fenders cost over 150.00 you will break the fender trying to put it in a subaru wagon.. a good hitch and hitch carrier is a good idea..

sounds like a solid bike..some minor issues,,,but should give you lots of fun and frustration , hook up with your local Trials club..google them or look them up on TC...good people will help you keep the feet on the pegs...

advise...dont start off in the hard classes...start in the novice or amature lines...get the basics...no room for an ego in this sport..

iv seen so many riders with the,...i ride MX, Enduro, Hair scrambles,,, and should be on the advance line...

only to half way through the first event,,,loose interest...cuz its too damn hard....learn the basics...and forget all the other stuff you think you already know...it will do you more harm then good....knees out...shoulder square, inch between your foot and the motorcycle...move the bike...not you...