Ossa Yellow Gripper

gordo

Was at Jim Hoellerich's museum this past weekend and saw two beautiful 1980 Yellow Grippers. I would like to know how these bikes compare to similar twin shocks and how well they perform in competition.

Any information is appreciated.

They are not commonly seen in competition, probably due to their low production numbers, and high desirability as a display item.

I've only ever ridden one, about 20 years ago, and my recollection is that it was not remarkable in any way apart from having a very interesting appearance due to the long shockie mount horns and the elaborate expansion chamber exhaust. It did have a heavy and high feeling about it (compared to the twinshock TY250 I was riding at the time). The OSSA was for sale at the time, and the test ride put me off buying it.

The Ossa is a mixed bag, just my view.

Suspension was ahead of its time, not as good as a mono but better than other twinshocks on the market back then. Modern Shocks now available make this less of an advantage as twinshocks now all can have improved set ups. Forks were also good either Betor or Telesco.

Engine performance was very smooth and had enough power.

Downsides include the bikes weight, not helped by all that exhaust, poor gearbox and a frame that was a bit more fragile than others.

• Like 1

Ive had my gripper for years now its very reliable, yes its top heavy but that can sometimes be an advantage. Mine is a 250cc ive never ridden a 350, i find it has enough power for most sections and grip finding i think it is one of the best bikes around, i put it down to the shocks and the cush drive on the crank. It is one of those bikes you either like or hate.

If you get to try one dont make a decision on a quick spin around a car park you need to be on the rough.

Steve.