Why Fantic 240

348mate

As i aint ever had or tried a fantic 240, can anyone tell me whats so good about them, as they seem highly thought of on this forum???

Only ask as given opinions here,i may make one next on my wish list....

cheers S.M.

They were probably the best twinshock at the time they were current in terms of an all round package although people will always have their own opinions as to what is best as it can come down to personal preference. I certainly have no allegiance or affinity to Fantics as I had a nearly new 240 at the time and hated it. Couldn't get it to grip always and the power delivery was too snappy. I didn't give it much of a chance though and improving the way it was set up may have helped but I never felt comfortable and just wanted rid of it. It was used however and may have been messed with and it was also one of the first, later bikes were softened off but I never tried one.

There were bikes around that were more powerful and the Hondas had better suspension but the 240 just seemd to do everything well - even grip, maybe it was just mine. Clutch and brakes work well and the suspension and steering geometry is good. Basically, if it is a good one you just ride it and don't have to mess with anything. If you're tall though you can be a bit hunched over the bars and dropping the footrests would help that. If you're not it's not a problem.

I think the spares situation is reasonable so they are a viable proposition for regular use in twinshocks. Best thing to do is try one, but make sure it is a good one or you will not get a true impression of how they perform.

Having bought a 240 about six months ago and following a few outings, i can tell you that i find no problems getting grip on it (easily as good on hillclimbs as a modern bike, if not better, possibly due to extra flywheel effect.) It does feel quite long in the steering, and it seems like the front wheel is further away than normal, and the brakes, jeeeez, even with new shoes are pretty much non existent. I am in the process of rebuilding the whole bike, as it was a bit dog- eared when i got it (needs new mains, gearbox rebuilt, disc braked front end etc.), but overall, it seems a cracking little bike and my nostalgia (sp) fueled dreams should soon become a reality!!!

Like RS says, buy a minter and you won't regret it!!

Good luck!!

my nostalgia (sp) fueled dreams should soon become a reality!!!

What is your definition of soon? is that a shorted time frame than retoration of a certain Merlin or Cagiva we both know about?

Edited by g4321