Steering Head Bearings

pistonbroke

I did one y3 ears ago and this method worked but see what others say before rushing in.

Remove outer collar and the race. Drill a smalll hole through the inner race to the shaft. Carefully grind a line through the race cutting through the hole. Do not cut into the shaft. If you do this carefully as you approach the full depth a hairline crack will develop.. Removal is then easy. Replacement is even more fun. Shaft in freezer overnight and bearing warm. This will help you get the two to marry up correctly but you have to be quick as well. Good luck in your chosen method !!!!

I agree with all the above, you may have tried what I am about to suggest but thought I would mention it anyway, put pleanty of penertrating oil on shaft & bearing, and leave it over night, then use mole grips and try and work loose, I was about to give up after trying for a while, and try a plumbers torch to add heat or dremel etc, when it started to move good luck.

I also forgot to mention try polishing the shaft up with emery paper after bearing removal, I found the new bearing went on easy after polishing, if not try as anotherfive suggested, Shaft in freezer overnight and bearing warm.

This method has worked for me in the past..

Clean the stem as much as possible..get all debris off so its as smooth as possible..put the steering stem with the bearing on it in the freezer for about 4 hours..then take a propane tourch and heat up the bearing a bit..try and keep the flame away from the stem. After warming up the bearing quickly turn the stem upside down and with a downward swing give it a sharp wack or two on top of a hard wooden surface (so you dont bugger up the stem threads)...the bearing should drop off. ...you could first try it without the freezing heating step..i have had one just drop off that way...

putting the new one on is the same deal...put the stem in the freezer for abt 4 hours and once that is good and cold put your new bearing in the oven at about 65 degrees C for a few minutes...the warm bearing should drop right down on the cold stem without having to drive it on...

I always fear cutting tools on parts like this

The correct procedure is a bearing splitter and a press but that not what most of us have in our shop

Squid seems to have a good plan there, kind of like a kinetic puller

Either way it not seized on its simply a press fit

• 2 weeks later...

How do you remove the bottom steering head bearing? Mine seems to be seized tight onto the shaft !!

Any advice will be gratefully recieved

Thanks

Phil

Not to sound too ignorant, but is that the only thing wrong with the bearing? If the bearing and race are in good condition - which one could assume is the case with an EVO - why do you want to remove it?