Pro Extra Fly-wheel Weights.

gaff

Just curiouse to know, seen advertised "extra fly-wheel weights" for the Gas Gas Pro series bikes, has anybody tried them, what are they like to fit, and more importantly, do they work ?

I have ridden a few Gasser 250's, and although i stalled them a few times, felt it was more of a case of getting used to the engine.

Gaff.

I've ridden a friend's 05 250 Pro with the flywheel weight - before and after.

I didn't like the bike at all when he first had it, almost impossible to ride without the clutch, engine far to snatchy and lumpy. which made it very difficult to shut off and then just feed the throttle in again, always had to slip the clutch. And yes it stalled easily too, as did the 05 280 Pro I had briefly, just stalled for no reason. This wasn't because it was new either, it was like this long after it was run in.

With the flywheel weight fitted there was a noticeable difference. It can now be ridden on the throttle very slowly with no snatch or lumpiness, the flywheel weight has ironed all that out. Engine can now be backed right off and brought in again slowly - you've time to think and are not chasing it anymore. Doesn't stall for no reason anymore either.

In my opinion well worth fitting and much better than the head spacer kit. I fitted one of those to the 280 and it was barely noticeable, if at all. In fact, a mate did it for me when he borrowed the bike and if I didn't know better I have said he hadn't done it....

Can't comment on how difficult it was to fit but I've put them on enduro bikes before and they are pretty straight forward. You may have to remove the flywheel to do it though, I think he mentioned, so you'll need a puller.

For the last 4 months including SSDT I've ridden a 250 having previously owning 4 280's. The only thing I have different to how they come is fitting an inlet spacer, this was intially to move the carb back to stop it falling out of the airbox! I don't find it stalls but I do ride on the clutch quite a bit & I do have a resonably high tick over set. Standard gearing can be a little high for some, I suggest dropping a tooth on the front sprocket works best. I've tried this & it does work quite well but the bike is woefully slow on the road. Never tried a weight on the flywheel, I think it'll slow it down too much & make it docile, I prefer a fairly zippy motor.

I'm now waiting for JJ White to come out practicing with us again so I can a spin on his 250 fitted with a Keihin carb.

PERCE - be worth getting a go on one fitted with the flywheel weight if you can as although it improves the rideabilty a good deal at the bottom end the engine lost none of its pickup, not sluggish by any means, it just smoothed everything out - best of both worlds. I liked it a lot and generally I hate the way most modern bikes ride off the throttle.

I know what you mean about the carb to airbox fit. Took me ages to figure out I wasn't doing anything wrong the first time I was refitting it, it's just how they are....

There is no way you can achieve the same result by jetting as you can with the flywheel weight. If I'm wrong I'll eat an old airfilter. I'd hardly call it messing about either, just a simple bolt on job instead of hours messing with the carb by trial and error. I know the weight works as I've ridden the bike before and after - and a good few motocross/enduro bikes too.

Edited by Woody

i cant see what all of the fuss is about, especially on the 05's

the new longer front pipe, i thought, smoothed out the performance of the pro's just right, i never find i stall mine unless i aint using the clutch properly.

i would say that if you find you like to ride without the clutch go for a sherco 3.2 or a mont 4rt, even on these you need to a bit, but dont expect to be able to use 4-stroke riding styles on 2-stroke machines, it just dont work.

OH, and Perce, will be out for a play shortly, exams finish this week then i free untill september :beer: when work starts :D

i would say that if you find you like to ride without the clutch go for a sherco 3.2 or a mont 4rt, even on these you need to a bit, but dont expect to be able to use 4-stroke riding styles on 2-stroke machines, it just dont work.

Riding without the clutch has nothng to do with 2-stroke / 4-stroke riding style. There are plenty of 2-strokes that can be ridden without the clutch all of the time, although on any bike you'll need it in real nadgery stuff. I just don't like to be on it all the time.

It's all subjective as it depends on how you like to ride, but my 05 280 pro was different from my mate's 04. It was less smooth, quicker off the throttle and had a different exhaust note. Riding on low revs it was difficult to ride without the clutch as the bike wanted to leap ahead and the power was jerky. This is on a whiff of throttle. If your style is point and squirt, dip the clutch/brakes then go again you won't notice it. My mate's 05 250 was the same but with the weight fitted it can be dropped to nothing and will happily plonk up sections clutchless.

Standard bikes are best, I like standard, standard is for me....

.....my message is and without wanting to sound to blunt, if a bike isn't right why buy it in the first place?

Edited by spud

Is that excluding modifying a silencer on a 4RT then Spud ? ? ?

Where have you been lately, have not not seen you out playing ?

I don't think any bike is right for any rider out of the crate, so to speak.

From handle bar position to putting extra weight on your fly-wheel.

As much as i like the Gas Gas Pro 250, they always seem too easy to stall, maybe it is just my riding (which is much to be desired), if that is the case and going with Woody's experience, then is this not the best modification for a rider much like my-self ?

Gaff.

Edited by Gaff

the bikes stock gaff.....cosmetics like the bars, carbon bolt on goodies etc are great personalisations changes... riding most weekends, rode twice this week, maybe three times next week :D

ps. my gas gas has a stock motor and its the biggest and ugliest gasser bike on the planet 'out of the crate' :beer: will i fit a fly-wheel weight? nope! might remove the side stand to save some weight thou.