"new" Bike In The Shop ...

axulsuv

Carb mods complete ! and bike runs 98% better ... I may shim needle just abit to eliminate a steady 1/3 to 1/2 throttle intermittent lean misfire(pop).

But she starts first kick every time hot or cold , and the off idle hesitation is 99% none existent , it does it on the stand slightly with no load on the motor , but not at all while riding . And the overall performance and response was well worth the $30.00 and a hour or so of my time ! And now for a K&N air filter and a bit more tweaking on fuel delivery ...

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

• 3 weeks later...

Out in the shop yesterday and had to show the reflex some love too ...

Installed a thick aluminum skid plate with a dense rubber pad off some old Fantic ...

I will add some wings to it and change it's shape a little when I get a chance , but for now is a much stouter unit than the factory one ...

And it got the old Renthal bars off the section too ! Got to go load up for a event in NC. tomorrow !

My work never ends ...

Glenn

post-1232-0-45193900-1385832145_thumb.jpg

The K&N is on the way for my son's bike , (been using them on EVERY thing I own since I was a wee pup in so cal. and they came on the market ...) and the cam gear change will happen when he can use it and the T-chain will be worn out by then :) ...

Back out to the darkside to spend some Quality time with my section , cycletherapy always works for me after spending my days playing with 'restored!" Jag's . What some people will do to fine old autos ...?

Glenn, the funny thing about K&N`s. They were invented in Albuquerque and made in the back room of the local Yamaha shop I used to work at ! Small world.

It was actually a male nurse (motorcycle enthusiast) that came up with the gauze idea!

Quote;

Many of you may of known Red Daley personally or through his motorcycle background with K&N Yamaha either in Riverside, California or in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Or from his Daley's Speed Shop business, from racing, engine building, machinist, welder. Or from the annual Charlie Frazier Motorcycle Gathering. Red helped a number of AMA GNC riders, including Mike Kidd. Red, Norm McDonald and Mike Kidd at the Astrodome. Kidd writes: "Red, Norm and I made a great team, taking second at our first national together at the Astrodome in '72"

His accomplishments, inventions, innovations, and contributions to the Motorcycle Racing world are too numerous to list here. Among the major ones is the development of the K&N Air Filter, from infancy. Norm and Lucy purchased the first equipment and design from a mechanic who worked out of the back of the Albuquerque, New Mexico Bobby J's Yamaha shop. K&N Performance Products took the mock up product, and made it into the filter we all knew of or owned. Kenny, Norm and Red worked together to construct the first marketable K&N filter, with Red working on the vulcanize process for the connectors and end caps.

To me Red was my business partner in race promotions, sponsor, engine machinist, performance guru, second father, and most of all one of my best friends.

Red passed away Thursday from natural causes at Tulsa Regional OSU Hospital in Tulsa. Quote;

Some interesting history.

Bob

Edited by lineaway

Would have liked to of known the man , a pioneer in our world . RIP.

But why I logged on ... Hey Brewtus ! what is the PN# and where did you get the Cam Gear for OJ ? , I may be splitting the cases on my trusty 240 , so I may use my kids bike for a few events....

Thanks , Glenn

• Like 1

No Big Deal , Just a replate , some fresh seals , brgs. etc. , etc. And then see who can last another 30 years , Me or the bike ? :) And I've got to trick his up a little , so he doesn't look at my Fantic's !!!

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Would have liked to of known the man , a pioneer in our world . RIP.

But why I logged on ... Hey Brewtus ! what is the PN# and where did you get the Cam Gear for OJ ? , I may be splitting the cases on my trusty 240 , so I may use my kids bike for a few events....

Thanks , Glenn

Uh, let's see...

It came from Parts Unlimited. The part number is shown in the pic -

OutrightJunk048.jpg

Yeah, the "Fun with OJ" thread is more "War and Peace" novel-like than the regular posts on ADV. There is a good part of it that is sort of a thread hijack by a certain someone that did not agree with....well, anything I did to my own bike. Skim over those parts, they do get tedious. Bottom line is, I still to this day have less than $600 invested in the whole bike, and that ALMOST covers fuel costs over the past few years to boot. A more recent pic, taken at an MWVTA event in Roswell last month -

MWVTARoswell2013036_zps7f60faa4.jpg

I did not compete on it though, the Team TY80 was once again pressed into service. OJ served as the pitbike! :guinness:

So, you gonna hootch up your 'ol Reflex, or just compete on it as is?