"new" Bike In The Shop ...

axulsuv

Dilemma !!!! As I just fitted a new petcock to the reflex to stop a fuel leak , and proceeded to test ride the bike before loading it up for a event tomorrow , as I was playing on the fallen trees in my yard , I didn't account for the muddy clay in my yard , I dropped the bike !!! Resulting in a tiny fracture that weeps fuel at the top of the bulge in the tank for the petcock ... 1 damn pointy little rock ! :suicide: ? is do I attempt to repair the tank , or not waste my time and just get another ? and mind you , to fit this one the stock tank mounting knubs at the front of the tank have been removed from the frame, so going back to the stock layout is not a option ...

Glenn :stupid:

Edited by axulsuv

Yeah , I guess I'll try to repair it now , as the tank has never had fuel in for more than a few minutes and is dry inside ...

And you should see the XK150 coupe were finishing up now , just have to finish the details and figure out how to mount a ac condenser in adequate air flow ...

That must be really cool to get to work on cars like that all day. With the level of attention to detail I saw, I can imagine it is stressful because your customers are probably very demanding and even the slightest Oops can be a big problem.

Does your shop also do the Lucas Electrics? Those are an adventure all by themselves.

I had a 1960 Austin Healey 3000/6 was back in the 70's. Black on black with trues spoke wheels with the big knock-offs. Great car on a sunny day. Drop the top, put the side windows in the boot and look for twisty roads.

• Like 2

I bet you wish you still had the Healey , they've become one of the most sought after roadsters ....

And the Prince of darkness is a big baby , just keep his connections clean and tite and he behaves !

I sanded and glassed up a much larger area on the tank last nite , I'll put some fuel in it tomorrow eve and see if it holds before I try and make it pretty again ...

Edited by axulsuv

And Lucas never manufactured TV's , They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil ....

DO NOT get me started on British Car Jokes , I've got a book ! Literally !!!!

But I luv em and find them to be pure ... and thankful at times...

Glenn

• Like 1

LOL, hadn't heard the tv joke before!

Good one.

I remember a writer from many years ago named "Satch" Carlson who wrote for Car & Driver explaining English car electrics with his "Smoke theory." The theory is there are no electrons, but the wires really carry smoke. When the smoke leaks out, the thing stops working. So, all you have to do is follow the smoke, replace that item and the problem is solved!

Brilliant!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Long time no post ... Back to the tank ... first patch on side of tank worked fine , but with fuel in the tank it still had a leak from the petcock fitting area, I must have hit the petcock too ! So a little more fiberglass work on the underside of the tank and the application of some KBS tank sealer to the inside of it and a few days curing on the dining room table , all is good ! :) doesn't leak anywhere and has some personality now ... (visible repair on side of tank ) . I don't know if I'll paint the repair or just leave it as is ... It is never gonna be a show bike. But it runs great , works about as good as a reflex will without chassis mods , and it's still a cheap rider for my son .........

Glenn

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

OK ; so here I am almost a year later ... Reflex still runs fun / fine . But due to a young man's actions , it hasn't been ridden in a few months . One of the said actions is a spider web on the right side of the tank , that has lifted the decals and turned the side of the tank into a striped with yellow mess .

When said son was asked about the dent in the fiberglass tank the response was " I didn't do it !" ... To which I had to reply , you're the only one that has ridden the bike . ! So due to that and his total lack of grades the bike sits in the shop , just getting started by me once in a while ...(honesty goes a long way with me , the bike was obviously dropped again , and if he had been honest about it , I'd of handled the tank then , without protest .)

So anyways to the point of this post , I just received a tank / shelter from Shedworks so I can have a buddy bike , or a bike for sale . (depending on report cards ) . What methods do you folks that have the same setup do to secure the tank and shelter ? The tabs on each end of tank are calling out to me for a couple of snug zip ties to secure that in position , And then just a bolt thru the rear fender on the shroud ? , That fits much snugger/tighter to the frame than the previous tank .

What have you folks done with success ? Just curious , 'cuz I'll mess it up anyways :)

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

Mom and dad took my bikes when I was a kid too. Eventually my grades came around when I wanted to do it for me and not to stay out of trouble with them. I don't know what the exact formula was but once I had to start answering to my self for my eff ups my excuses ran dry.

Keep on him Glenn but let him disapoint himself. When he finds out what motivates him let him determine if it's worth a spin on the bike or repairing it with out blame.

--biff

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well here I am again ... Yesterday afternoon I removed my home fabricated silencer and mid box from the kids reflex and installed a complete wes exhaust . Quite a weight savings and after a warm up and mixture adjustment , I'm thoroughly impressed ! With my previous carb mods , 10/50 gearing and the trick rear set footpegs the bike has totally transformed from a wanna be into a real Trials bike ! It ran just a tic on the fat side before , now has a perfect plug color and even better throttle response across the whole rev range . :)

Now if son finishes his military school program and does right by me and himself , he might earn himself some fresh tires and real rear shocks ! :)  

Glenn   B)

• Like 3