"new" Bike In The Shop ...

axulsuv

... A little welding work from my neighbor that builds custom headers you wouldn't want to pay for

Is this because his work and the custom headers are so awesome that they cost big $$$ :thumbup:

or is it because he makes header pipes like I do and they are an abomination to nature.... :rotfl:

(I would tell people the first one!)

The Saga Continue's ...

Exhaust on ,Slight rub with me on and preload @ softest setting, no worries...(Free silencer and 15 min's of my neighbors welding expertise ), carb rebuilt and tweeked , old bars and grips on , ungratefull kid polishing wheels....Bike works OK...., motor makes a few noises I'm not fond of, Carb works fine for him, I'd want a pumper . Has 10 - 44 sprockets right now , will change that to 12 - 58 asap , just to slow it down a little and teach young son THROTTLE CONTROL !!! Still loving old honda's :) Got to do laundry and groceries right now , then load up for a event in NC. Leave at about 5:30 am .

And the trusty 240pro fired 2nd kick after sitting since the world round weelend :) (I love old Fantics more !!!)

Glenn

And a shot of Zelda the Trials puppy ... She's almost 2 !!!!

post-1232-0-38198900-1381594294_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-34382200-1381594502_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-00642500-1381594546_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-47055100-1381594636_thumb.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

Has 10 - 44 sprockets right now , will change that to 12 - 58 asap , just to slow it down a little and teach young son THROTTLE CONTROL !!!

Lucky Lad. Your sprocket choice is rather extreme though. A 58 tooth sprocket will extend below the "sharks fin" sprocket guard so it won't do its job. I've watched youth riders on 80cc Betas and the like footing and falling over and derailing their chains with their boots.

12/58 = 4.83:1

You already have a 10 so

10/48 =4.8:1

which is almost the same final drive ratio as 4.83:1.

9/44 (4.88:1) is what many Clubmen and Novice riders use but 10/48 gives the chain and front sprocket an easier time.

The 10 is about shot , and I'd like to use the lock plate as it was meant to be used , so I think a 12 is as small as I can go on the front , unless a 11 bolts on ? And I'm glad about all the fresh carb info ... I shimmed the needle abit just before I put the bike on the trailer and mid range and up is a major improvement , Now I need to get some bits for the pilot and the better taper needle ...

Thanks all :) off to bed got to get up early !

Glenn

I hope you had a good trial today.

I have a 10 tooth front sprocket on my TLR200 and it works just fine. I don't use the bike for serious trials, more for gravel roads and short rides on the street. I feel it is still geared to fast for good trials.

Here is some info that I probably got off this forum in the past. I don't know who posted it first so unfortunately I can't give proper attribution.

"Sprockets & Gear Ratios

As delivered from the factory the Reflex came with 44 tooth rear and 13 tooth countershaft giving a 3.38 final reduction ratio. This was "road" gearing and would seem to be about as low a ratio that anyone would want on this low powered machine. My thought would be to use this ratio as a base point and adjust your countershaft tooth count to give you a greater reduction thereby slowing overall speed and making the machine more capable on trails.

Here's some common ratios. Maybe some others will chime in with suggestions too.

12t x 44t = 3.66 reduction

11t x 44t = 4.00 reduction (possibly trail riding)

10t x 44t = 4.40 reduction

9t x 44t = 4.88 reduction (trials riders)"

Edited by thats_a_five

Well Young son had a great time on his first event with the reflex ... But I definitely need to slow it down for him :)

And now I have a excuse to practice more , Got to get him some competent clutch and throttle control :) But he did great and thinks the bike is 'DA BomB ' !

Glenn

• Like 1

Well I just sat down out in the shop to pull the carb off again and drill the pilot jet out with a # 78 bit ... Slipped while opening small case of 21 jewelers drill bits and dropped them :dunce: after about 1/2 a hour with a magnet sweeping the floor , and another hour with my micrometer :marky: :measuring them repeatedly to put them back in their respective slots in the case , Damn they are small !!!

I think I'll drill the pilot next weekend , Right now I'm gonna have a :beer: and watch the nascar race ....

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Got young son and my section out ... (son on reflex!) Played on small steep hill in front yard ... Son can now start and stop going uphill or down without stalling or dabbing ... Baby steps....confidence take's time :) And boy I've got to work on the section , I want to use it in a event ! it's so easy to ride !

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK Reflex owners ... I've got the carb improver kit in hand along with a #105 main jet and my drill bits for the pilot ! I'll post the results of the carb mods tomorrow ... And the new needle valve is a drastic change from the stock nail looking thing the bikes came with !

But I need some help from you reflex/Tlr owners ! this bike is missing the kickstarter stop plate , so the kicker goes past center and will fold in on you !

And it can hurt when it does it ! So as the piece is made from unobtaimium now , if someone could PM me a closeup photo of one and or a photo of it laying on a piece of graph paper , my son's shin's will be forever grateful ! I've got no problem cutting out the piece , just don't know it's exact shape and mounting configuration ! and trial and error may take along time !!!

Thanks , Glenn

Edited by axulsuv

This may or may not help

post #5 has pics look in the space between the foot peg and the rear brake pedal, there is a black plate attached to the frame. The side facing out is smooth, and you will notice the 2 weld marks where the bolts go through the holes in the frame, I can't remember if the plate is just curved upwards to catch the kickstarter or the side of the plate facing inwards toward motor has a tab that sticks out to catch the tab on the kickstart lever.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37450-tl-125-kickstart-options/

Sorry couldn't find anything else.

Thanks Zippy, I never saw that photo and it and parts diag. pictures I've looked at will get me started ...

The factory manual I've got never shows a photo of it , 'just say's to remove it to get the sidecover off .

I believe it hooks up at the end to catch the tab on the kickstarter as you say .

Thanks , Glenn