Montesa 200 1982

shercoben12

hi, my dad and i are looking into getting a great conditional completely original montesa cota 200. we are looking into to getting it to as new standerd . can anyone give me some info about the bike and some links for getting the wheels refurbed and tank and seat resprayed.

Edited by shercoben12

Good choice of bike, I ride a trial on mine every week and its yet to let me down. I would recommend you check it selects all the gears and finds neutral. The 200 gearbox is probably the weakest part of the bike. Check that the kickstart returns and has a return spring fittled.

The engine oil drain plug is difficult to get at (under right frame tube) these are often damaged with stripped threads. If the bike has been open to the elements check the aluminium components for corrosion particularly the fork yokes and if you can access them the brake drums. The akront wheel rims do tend to get a bit knocked about but as you intend to have them refurbed that should sort them out. If you are getting the seat unit resprayed check the fibreglass on the area around the seat and rear shocks this is the part that usually gets damaged or cracks and would benefit from some additional fibre glass to strengthen it. Also make sure tank does not leak. If you need to knwo more pm your phone number. I love these bikes and have had mine apart loads of times (also getting another one soon) I can probably tell you all you need to know about running one and who stocks the parts.

Regards, Paul.