Jtx 270 First Trials Bike :)

brenduro

Well after a few years of riding motocross and enduro i Decided to get a trials bike to help improve my skills, i ended up buying a gasgas jtx270 for 400euro (yes, 400euro!!) it needed a few bits and pieces but nothing major! i done the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, fork seals, water pump, break pads, grps, leavers and then just general TLC and because im in the trade all in all it stands me less than 500euro hehe! .. bike runs and rides sweet! i've only put about 4 hours on it in the past week i've owned it but i have to say im hooked, many more years of riding trials in the future i see considering im only 19 :) still have the enduro bike (gasgas ec200) and an old skool 85 kx125 :))

• Like 2

97' JTX is a good bike to start with. Strong and handles well. As with most Trials bikes, with care it will be reliable. Here in the U.S., it's almost impossible to ever find a Trials bike in a cycle wrecking yard. Welcome to the gang.

Jon

Looks good! As with any used bike, assume that nothing has ever been serviced and take the time to go through every part (bearings especially) for lube and adjustment. It will pay off in more riding time and less fixing time. Don't be afraid to ask questions, as you can see by this forum, we are a helpful group in general and here you have access to experience from, literally, all over the World.

Cheers.

Jon

post-10246-0-79807700-1380226821_thumb.jpg

I like the old bikes, they seem more reliable.

Had this about three years now and use it regularly, it,s the 350 model and I love it. Bought it very cheap with no working brakes or kickstart.

Good luck with the Trialing.

TLTEL

Edited by tltel

nice bike ! have you had to do any engine work? on the enduro bike GasGas ec200 im have to do the piston every couple of months, 80hours or so of hard use :( ha, i'll use the 270 for year or so, then upgrade to a 2010-11 :)

Edited by brenduro

I had a JT25 for about 6 years and the motor was generally bulletproof. I did seize a piston but that was my own stupidity of revving it too high while it was still cold. That was an expensive repair because of the nikasil bore. I replaced the jug and piston as a set. I am sure I had a couple hundred hours on it and it rain great.

As others have mentioned, keep you eye on the oil because of water pump seal failures and replace it if it gets milky. Other than that, ride it and enjoy.

hi brenduro.

only engine work I have done is to play around with cylinder base gaskets to increase the squish clearance, it used to knock a lot when it got hot, its also smoothed out the power too.

still on original piston as far as I know.

My picture was taken at a particularly wet and muddy trial back in June.

TLTEL