Contaminated Oil?

brenduro

Hi lads, i just done the water pump seal on my JTX 270, but i noticed after about half an hours riding the oil was white (fresh oil) i though i may need to get the shaft aswell after seeing this, but then today i had a look in the window and the oil was brand new looking, i then checked the water level and that was fine!

could it be the contaminated oil that was still left in the engine after i done the seal just coming to the top while it was running? :blush:

foamy oil with water, takes days to "un foam" my bike using Yamaha's Yamalube foams ever so slightly, when you shut off the bike it instantly foam goes away. Red oil turns PINK, that is water probably. Blue turns baby blue, my clear ish brown stays brown with layer of bubbles on top, no water. hope that helps.

if you had a leak, you might need to change, quick ride, flush while warm. then take for long ride? help heat the condensation out of the transmission. if the oil goes back to normal quickly you are probably OK?

if not you might still have a leak. you will have to talk to those like JSE that know more about the old engines, the newer pro engines from 2002 up to now I have knowledge and read a lot, and have had many bikes I work on or own, that we had the "pump shafts" that wore out.

I was never informed or did I worry or hear it was any problem, with the old engines... but then again I only had the old engine in 2 bikes, way back in 2000 or so, for a year or so. but I have had several bikes of the new engine with several of the following years, 04, 06, then the Raga 08, 10,11,12 & now the 13. raga/factory. I haven't had to change waterpump parts since the 2010 raga we bought. so they seemed to have fixed the issue, or I didn't have enough hours on it when I sold it.

FYI what I know...

the 04-06's and the 08 I had to change pump "kits" about once a year, the shafts were soft and the seal would eat a groove in shaft that drives the pump impeller. that is now hardened better and should be fixed... I hope. I know I changed oil when this happens ASAP, do it twice so it gets the water out. then since it happens to me in hot summer, usually good hard ride after 2 changes (used the cheapest ATF to flush with) and then fill with good stuff, it was cleared up.

Thanks Sting for the help! much appreciated :) but after thinking about it there's i dont think the shaft is worn, becasue the water level didnt drop, therfor i have no leak right? i dont want to put engine ice in (20euro a bottle) to find out thats its leaking into the gear box haha

After having changed seals on my '94 JT25 a few times I had a brain fart. I realized that I had replaced the seals in the same direction as the one I had previously removed. Then I thought about the fact that seals have a pressure side and a no pressure side. The seal in the bike when I bought it was installed wrong side out and, not thinking, I put the new one in the same direction.

In the water pump application, the pressure is from the hot water side. The seal should be mounted so the open end of the can is visible from the outside. That way the pressure from the expanding water will squeeze the seal around the shaft. Installed backward the pressure will force the seal away from the shaft allowing water to enter the gearbox.

I replaced the seal with a new one in the proper direction. But then I sold the bike so can't really say how long it lasted.