Leaking Fork After New Seals

snap1

Hi,

I've replaced the fork seals and I'm still getting leakage on the left fork, yes the one with the calliper on...

So I suffer in competitions with a poor front brake which makes life difficult. Oil and pads don't work well :-(

I've not got the money to look at new forks but am thinking about draining the oil out of the left fork to prevent the pads getting soaked in oil again!

Does anybody have any advice on this, what action would you take? How bad will this affect fork performance vs brake performance.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Is the fork tube damaged? Inspect the tube and carefully remove any sharp edged scratches on the tube as they will damage / cut your new seal, then fill the scratch with superglue or nail varnish, sand down carefully to match the tube profile. Then you may need to replace the seal if the sharp edges have cut the sealing lip of the seal.

Thanks chaps,

I did have a little trouble getting the old seal out and had to file a slight scratch, I did not know about the super glue trick, does that always work? Will a little scratch have this effect, it's not a gouge?

I will also have to see if I can de-contaminate the pads as I've already bought 2 sets :-(

As a general rule, if the scratch is enough to catch a fingernail, it will leak or cut the seal.

If you looked at it under a scope /\/\ a valley with ridges in many cases. Gotta knock down the high points with a stone hone or something, then fill the valley!

What condition is your top fork bush in, if there is wear then the oil has an easier path to the seal & any movement of the leg puts more pressure on 1 side of the seal while releasing pressure on the other. Basically new seals won't help if the fork leg is flopping around inside the seal

Thank both, in that case the scratch will prop cause a slight leak but I was not aware about the fork bush I just reused the old one and have really checked play :-(

It could be a mixture of both causing the greater leak

I will check play when I get home, thanks for sending me on the right road!