Fantic 200

bycman753

I Have been offered a Fantic 200 in a run down state, but I am thinking of Buying it as a Winter project to rebuild it, however before I proceed, I believe the bike to be about 1979 in vintage fantic 200 identical to the bike my pal when I was a kid had bought for him from Cobb and Jagger Motorcycles Shipley back in the day , could anyone tell me should the bike have matching engine and frame nos, and where should they be situated, is there anything else to identify if the bike is a genuine 200, I am going to look at it soon so would be grateful for some advice, I believe that most things parts wise are available as I think I would like to rebuild it to factory standard if I can, Thanks and look forward to the response.

Not really an expert on the rear kick 200 models, my mate knows more but I think hes away with work.

I know the 156cc should have its model number fm350 on the exhaust and airbox. The 125cc bikes are fm250.

79 models should have conical hubs and 35mm fork stanchions. Earlier models have 32mm and standard hubs.

The frame number should be on frame underneath the headstock on the gusset plate. The engine number should be on top of the crankcase behind the kickstart. Wether they match after 30 years is a bonus.

Parts are not a problem as Bill Pye and Bob Wright have a massive amount of spares.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks again, I went to look at the bike yesterday , thanks for the details given concerning the model No.s etc most enlightening , also spoke to Bob Wright, very helpful, the bike I think I have established now is a 125 and not the 200 and is about 1978 in vintage , so the tank is a little broader and not as slim as you get on the slightly later bikes, it does run and I had a ride up the field on it, its pretty tired though, I think to make it nice you could soon get rid of a thousand pounds but I suppose you would have a nice little bike in the end, the chap is fixed at £400 which you can't blame him for that as you can't get much for that, being a complete novice at re building something apart from being fanatical about detail, I will have to make my mind up to buy the bike or not.. thanks to all

The early 125's are not worth the money of the later 200's. I have a 125 however and its fine. The forks are not so good as the larger 35mm units and the power is down on the 125's (mine is a converted to 156) They are not quite as pretty but that's it. The geometry is the same with both so the early machines ride just as well. But it wont be worth the same money as the iconic 200. Still a good bike and equal or better to any other twinshock brand though.