Ty80 Spark Plug Issue

gasgasstu

Anybody know why I keep blowing plugs on my nephews ty80?

I bought it a month ago, been out 3 times and had to change the plug 3 times.

Is there anything that might be causing the plugs to fail?

It seems to run all day perfect yet next day don't seem to get a spark, fit a new plug and away she goes again.

Any advise would be most appreciated

Spark plugs rarely fail by themselves. Usually only through mechanical damage or years of service eroding the electrodes. What does happen is they stop firing correctly because of either a weak ignition system component or an incorrect fuel mixture, causing the plug to foul.

Nelly1's suggestion to replace the points and condenser is a good one. We forget how often we used to need to change them in our cars and bikes because modern equipment has electronic parts. I don't have a TY80 so I do not know, you may need a special puller to remove the flywheel to access them. You may be able to file the points through a hole in the flywheel.

If the bike smokes excessively, I would suggest a thorough cleaning and adjustment of the carb also.

You can search on-line for pictures on how to "read" spark plugs for 2 strokes. Then when you remove one that does not work you can compare to the pics. Often plugs can simply be cleaned well with solvent and be reused.

Edited by thats_a_five

good and bad news plug went again. I think it was the way I set the kill switch as I replaced the old one as the throttle body was damaged and fitted an alternative which when wired to earth the bike did not like. I have now fitted a on/off switch which runs between the magneto wire and the coil and it seem fine. taking the nephew on his first trial Sunday so hope it all goes well.

• 2 weeks later...

My nephew done his first trial last Sunday got bike out and started it then it cut out would not start so changed the plug and she fired up straight away. No issues all day. Fitted a second hand pick up coil and flywheel magneto and its running ok. Took the exhaust off and cleaned that out today so gonna take him out tomorrow hope she runs ok or it will be on E Bay Monday. I have now changed every electrical item on the bike.

When I had a 2 stroke, I always cleaned or replaced the plug the day before an event. I also carried a spare plug and tools with me when I rode.

If the bike runs well with a new plug, it is unlikely that the exhaust is badly plugged. When the exhausts get plugged, the engine acts and sounds like it is trying to blow through a small straw and have significant power loss. A partially plugged pipe will cause a rich fuel/air mixture, which can lead to fouling.

Edited by thats_a_five