Armstrong 250 Restoration

stealth

Hi all,

I have recently aquired a 1984 Armstrong 250 with a Hiro engine, or should I say re-aquired as I used to own this bike some twenty years ago, Anyway she is in quite a state now and is going to take a fair bit of work to get her back to usable condition. My biggest concern is the state of the front forks, there is quite a lot of surface rust on the chrome sections and I don't know if this can be easily rectified or not and would appreciate any feedback from readers. Otherwise the wheels need rebuilding, frame needs repainting as does the crankcase, new brakes and chain & sprockets & cables etc and we should be about there. The engine still seems sound enough as the bike was chucked in a shed not long after I sold it and never turned a wheel since but there is a hell of a lot of corrosion on the exhaust system and I reckon the whole thing may need replacing.

Does anybody know if parts are still available for these bikes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi there stealth.

I have just put my dads old Armstrong 250 back into service after 20 in the shed.. so know what you are going through. I found this bike one of the easiest referbs yet, and what a bike when completed power not that different to (310/320) just needs revving to get the power, so trust me it's worth it.

I have a got one or two of them now and have some good contacts if you need hiro parts not a problem will forward you the contact and not bad price, as for exhaust that is the only part you can't get anything made buy Armstrong you have no chance trust me have even been to see clews. Can the exhaust be repaired?? Should be a steel one so not that hard.. as fir the forks you can get them re chromed, I can think of 2 company that do it pitted forks.com or philpots??? they will do one leg if you want, if you need out let us know.. seth29.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the numerous contact details, I reckon re-chroming is the way to go with the forks rather than trying to find a secondhand set. I also need to have the wheels rebuilt and so would be grateful for any good contacts regarding this.

Seth29 - Yes from memory it always did seem to have more than enough power for me, but I was to young and inexperienced to appreciate what I had at the time. The exhaust is sound enough at the moment, as far as I can see there are no leaks but the whole thing is pretty rusty from one end to the other and I think that scrubbing it up for re-painting could cause a few problems so we will see. Do you know if the foam air filters are readily available?

Thanks again.