Evo Vs Rev 3 ? How Much Easier To Start Or Ride?

bigbird2

I'm and OLD guy that has decided to try trials again. Although I'd rather not - I can afford to get an EVO over a Rev 3. I'd probably get a 200 for the easier starting, etc. (or maybe a 4t if that is easier to kick???)

A good friend has recommended I go for the EVO because it will be easier for me to learn on and ride do to improvements like linkage, steering and a little less weight.

Just wondered if you folks think the EVE will be noticeably easier for me? Also any thoughts on a 4t vs a 200 2t would be appreciated,

Thanks

As for harder to start the EVO and Rev3 of similar displacement start about the same. For differences in how they ride I can tell you the EVO is perhaps the most stable bike I've ever owned. Coming off an '08 Rev3 that I've been fettling with for 5 years to get it just so I can say the 2013 EVO was instantly more tractable. I had to go for slightly heavier springs to get the handling correct for my weight but what a difference. If cost isn't a differentiator go for the EVO. I think your choice of a 200 is an excellent idea.

Edited by dan williams

I agree with Dan, I had an 07 Rev, loved it and the first time I rode an 010 I felt it was just plain easier to ride, went where I wanted it to go and required less attention

It let me concentrate more on what I'm doing rather than trying to control balance

The Rev is awesome, but the Evo is better

And I think there are the same to start

One thing, I think the Rev was better on steep climbs

Same advice from me even though ive only been on trials for 6 months. 5 months on a 07 rev 270 and only due to a good deal, im now on a 13 evo 300. Im loving the evo and feel its a more predictable bike. The evo does require a bit more effort to start but both the rev and the evo start on the first kick. I was told by our importer, if a looked after beta wont start in 3 kicks, something is wrong.

hard to beat the Rev, if maintained, and not had ATF run in it...

Evo is leaps and bounds improved..but handles more stable, 09 10 had frame issues,..ask if its been changed, if not, stay away..

like any used bike, how well they took care of it is king, careful on Pros bikes, some are taken care of, some are hammered...just look past new plastic..id rather have the original scratched bits, to see its battles then hide whats up...

I only just stated trialing and I can't say about a Rev 3 but I went from a 1999 Techno 200 to a 2009 Evo 250 and went from being hopeless even on the easy route scoring in the 60's to mid table scoring early 20's and it was just the bike that made the differance. The bike is awesome, starts easily goes over rocky ground no problem so much more tracktable the differance was unbelieveable.

As for staying away from the 2009 I would say don't worry if they have survived this long they either don't have the problem or have had the frame changed. Mine has the original frame and has had a hard life as the last owner used it in a disused quarry and it is fine. They are so much cheaper all the advantages of an Evo without paying silly money.

i never had a frame issue with my 09..springs were junk. easy enough fix. lots of great power, i added an S3 pipe. thick base gasket, smooth clutch, and changed out the cheap wheel bearings for quality ones..added grease zirks to the shock linkage...worked very well, id still be riding it, had i not up graded to a 2013 4T...

keep in mind...i dont jump off 20 ft rocks. or zap up 20 ft splatters...

id stay away from the techno parts are getting sketchy,...Rev 3 for a older novice would be a great choice. low and back pegs make the bike a dream to turn.

the Rev had some clutch issues..but most of that can be cured with quality oil, and avoiding ATF..