How Old To Be A Classic

toetoe

just wondering how old does a bike have to be, to enter it into a classic trials, i ask this because although i like the newer machines and prefer to ride them, I would love to buy a bultaco 340 from around the 80s as a project, i used to ride one about 30 years ago and loved every minuet of it.

regards

Tony

A twinshock is eligible for classic trials but obviously not Pre65 in the Bulto case.

It is the style of bike and not the year that counts. For example a 1987 Honda TLR 200 twinshock is eligible whereas a 1985 Yamaha ty250 mono is not. But a Fantic 300 from the same year is.

Edited by mattylad

Believe me - That old bike you had is not as good as you remember ......

The only comparison I can give for a Modern bike is -

Getting off a thoroughbred racehorse and onto a carthorse the plows fields - then expecting it to keep up with the racehorse !!!!

Fantastic crack in the classic world - you just forget how far bikes have come on .......

Enjoy

As Always

The Wobbler

thats why i put, i like the newer machines and prefer to ride them, i know their is no comparison, in fact we would be wrong to compare them, they both belong in their own place, but as a project and a hobby i would like to have something similar to the bike i used to ride but at the same time maintain and ride my sherco, best of both worlds for me but not for everyone.

• Like 1

The thing about bikes is there is something for everyone,it doesn't matter what you ride modern or old,road,race,speedway,scrambles,trials or anything else they are all there to be enjoyed.For me the modern stuff in terms of trials leaves me stone cold,hopping and bouncing around etc.But I can appreciate the skills involved.

The classic trials,either twinshock or P65 to me is much more interesting,the bikes need more skills and time to keep up together,the people and banter involved all have stories to tell or can surprise you with riding skills - even into their eighties.Its a fascinating world to be a part of.

Plus of course there is the part that I think nearly all mackerel a*** trials riders share, is that the old stuff retains its value... I've done my share of losing money to depreciation,all my old bangers would recoup their value,moderns shed it too fast for me.

But I guess it doesn't really matter, enjoying trials is what really matters.

• Like 4

I must apologise as my comment sounded negative !!!

I've almost packed in riding a modern bike & really enjoy the classic / twinshock scene - I just wish I was more mechanically minded as when you see some of the bikes - being a good engineer and an average rider seems to work much better than just being an average rider !!!!!

Go and buy a 340 and enjoy - I thought I would be able to ride a 247 Mont better than I could 32 years ago - How wrong could I be !!!!

As always

The Wobbler