Wheel Trueing

bob

Hi,

I have done a search for this but had no success,

The front wheel on my rev3 has a little buckle in it ( about 3 mm either way ), The buckle isn't massive though and I realise that if I start to try and straighten it then it could take ages. Is it worth trying to fix or should I just forget about it, will it get worse?

The wheel isn't egged so it is straightenable.

If I should fix it then any tips?

It is terrible when you are cleaning your bike that you keep finding little problems like this isn't it.

cheers

Bob

Edited by bob

If it bothers you, it's worth fixing. Just make adjustments in small increments, recheck, adjust again. Get comfortable, take your time and remember that as one side tightens, so does the other, so you may have to back the tension off on the one side, while increasing tension on the other.

Do a google search for wheel building/trueing. There are bound to be some good sights out there with simple instructions, particularly in the cycling circles where wheel building/repairing is commonplace (and the same principals apply).

3mm!?!?

As we say in the Bronx: Fugeddaboutit!

Just give them all a tap with a screwdriver and make sure they go 'ding' and none go 'bunk'.

If the spoke(s) that crosses the spoke you are hitting is actually touching it, tug it away before you tap so you get a clear 'ding'

If you want to try straightening, it's not a big mystery.

The spokes that go to the left side of the hub will pull the rim left when you tighten them. The spokes that go to the right....you get it.

The rim can also be a little tweaked and won't totally straighten.

If the spokes already 'bing', you probably shouldn't tighten them more than 1/2 turn.

ok, thanks, i will have ago once I have got myself a decent spoke key, I went round the wheel tapping the spokes and one or two in the area of the buckle made a dong so this is obviously the only problem area. I had a ittle practice on an old bike wheel and it isn't too hard.

Thanks

Bob

work on opposites, if you tighten the spokes on one side to pull the rim over you need to loosen the opposite spokes first to allow the rim to move, once you have the rim as near to true as possible tap all spokes starting from the valve and any that sound to tight slack off an eighth of a turn at a time until they all sound the same, if they sound to lose then tighten an eighth of a turn. it time consuming but i've always had good results from this.

If you have an egg shaped wheel you can use the same process but work on opposite sides of the rim, and always slack off before tightening to move the rim.

Hope this helps a bit. the way i ride i've used this process quite alot.

• 2 weeks later...