03 Pros 250 Or 280

colly

had the chance to swap my 02 sherco and a 96 gas gas for a 03 250 pro,so what are the 03's like compared to a sherco, reliable? also what engine do you think i should get the 250 or 280 i like an engine that can plodder on in sections but with plenty of power to pull 4th up hills will a 250 pull 4th up hills? and alot of people said the 280's are really savage just to foget about them. and is it all 03's with the crap air box on? or should i just forget about the gas gas and get another 03 or 04 sherco 250 or 290? thanks colly :blink:

I'm sure r2 will chime in soon, as he has an '03 250 (now 300). As for the airbox, it's nothing more than doing to simple mods mentioned many times on here....reseal, mud flaps, etc.

I personally had an '03 280. It was not too savage by any means. The 280 is the most aggressive of the three (250/280/300), but by no means savage. Jet it a little fat on the pilot and it helps to tame the response and smooth things out. r2 will be able to answer your concerns on power, but I don't think you have to worry one way or the other. The last 250 I rode had lots of power, just a little softer than the 280 and comes on a little later in the revs.

If this bike is second hand, make sure it has been properly maintained (ie: frequent oil changes, greased, and generally cared for)...if it hasn't, walk away.

and alot of people said the 280's are really savage just to foget about them.

I know a few Inters near me who consistantly buy 280's because they have more torque than the 250 and also they grip well!! Some of them set them up with a slow action twistgrip. They are not as bad as people make them out to be, their a damn good bike. It's not a superbike!

As far as what your saying either a gasser or another Sherco, if your willing to spend more time doing maintenance then get the Pro, but if you dont have time, then Sherco because you really have to prep the GasGas!!

Just silicon up the airbox and on the whole, it will be quite water resistant.

If this bike is second hand, make sure it has been properly maintained (ie: frequent oil changes, greased, and generally cared for)...if it hasn't, walk away.

how do i check this then?

i might just go for the 280 then because it is a little bit cheaper than the 250. what type of power is it on the 280 smooth or snappy power? any thing like the 300 because to rode one of them before and i thought it ws just tourqy power.? thanks :blink:

Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

The GG might be worth a little more than your Sherco because it's a year newer, but a lot less than you'd get for your '96 GG!

I would think that, in a couple months when the '06s come out, the price you could get for your 2 bikes would get you an '05.

If it were I....I'd stay where you are. I imagine your Sherco has been bulletproof, as most are, and keep the GG for a spare and for introducing new folks to trials.

the 280 can be ridden in higher gears and if you are worried about the extra poke put a slow action throttle tube on. The 300 is great!!!! 

would it still be alrite for steps then? the main thing about the 280 im worrying about is how often it will throw we off the back on hill climbs. :blink:

I had the 2002 280 pro, and apart from the 2002 problems we've all heard about, I absolutely loved the bike. It really was brilliant to ride.

I loaned it to a mate while I was away, and he rode it round the beginner route with his lad - he spent most of the day petrified of it. It could be a bit of a beast if you're not fully in control of it, and had a tendancy to snap yer arms off in those "tired" situations. but as people have said there are ways of taming it a little - head spacer, slow pull throttle etc.

I recently rode an 05 300 Gasser in a Novogar round, and first time on it, it was probably my most consistant ride this year - still poor but consistent :blink: - smoothness with grunt. Plenty of situations where the smooth power was ideal. A couple of situations where I didn't quite attack something hard enough as it didn't snap immediately, but that was me just not being used to the smoother power.

I think you've got to try and get on them both and see what you like.

im going from a 200 sherco so maybe the 280 is a big jump? so what do the 250's pull like from the bottom, could a lot of sections be rode in 3rd with little revs the pull away or will it not have the power? thanks :blink:

im going from a 200 sherco so maybe the 280 is a big jump?  so what do the 250's pull like from the bottom, could a lot of sections be rode in 3rd with little revs the pull away or will it not have the power? thanks :D

The 250's will easely pull in 3rd, my one will happly pull my 13 stone a** up any hill I point it at :blink:

You shouldn't choose any bike until you have at least had a ride on one first, that's the first thing, also as mentioned earlier i don't think it's a particularly good deal, you should wait until the '06 comes out (soon) and use the time to test all of the models you are interested in.