Scorpa Ty125 Lr As Trail Bike For Big Guy?

trialtrial

OK, I used to have trials bikes. I had a Beta 4T long ride and loved it. Fantastic on the tight single track. But I sold it and went total enduro - 350 4T. I like the enduros but I am still hankering to have a trial bike for really technical stuff. Tight PWN wooded routes or slick rock type stuff in Moab.

Anyways, I thought I could buy an older used trials bike, but what I can get for $2500 is really worn out crap.

So... I thought: why not get a bike that my wife can ride, and then I can use it when I wanna do technical stuff? I could sell her Honda CRF150F (the "friendly" air cooled bike) and use that money to buy an OSSA Explorer or one of the little air cooled 4T Scorpas.

There is one for sale, but it is a ferry ride away and 200km driving. Of course I will test ride it before buying, I just want to know if its in the ball park. If not, I wont even bother.

OK, so that brings me to the question. I am 6'2" 220lbs (15.7 stone, or 1.3 big ass bolder). Would this bike be to under powered as a technical trail bike? Would it have enough guts to drag my fat ass up super steep Moab-like sandstone? Is there enough room in the cockpit (with risers) for a big guy? I have *no* expectations of going fast or jumping. I *might* ride intermediate with it - but rarely.

thanks for the help!

Ridden these wee Scorpas on and off for years.

Fine for club trials and a bit light trail riding also very well made.

Not really any power even in 163 form,,every climbs a first gear screamer and steps are killers as they have no clearance.

My son rides one and he's at least 16 stone,but it really doesn't help his scores.

The lads that run the SSDT love them as they go for ages on a tank and never break down.

I had one, maybe a 200 would be better. I think someone took one to 190 ish but at a price. Cracking bike but has its limits, if I can find a sorted 200 I 'd buy one one day. I don't do water cooled but if pushed I'd buy a Beta 4t.

I ride the same area as you on both enduro and trials for the tight single track. I think that the Scorpa would be a little small for a bigger guy. I have a Scorpa 250f and love its well made You could get a big bore kit for the 125. I don't know too much about the Ossa explorer but looks nice articles seem to be good on it. What about parts availability. With the Scorpa all your engine parts will be Yamaha. I know on my Scorpa I keep extra parts around for just in case you can get them but sometimes it takes awhile. I imagine the Ossa would be the same. Both of my boys have rode the ttr 125 and I have had no problems with the engines on both bikes

Hey guys thanks for the info. I took it for a ride and fell in love with it right away. Its perfect for my wifey. I figure I'll give it a go for a while and sell it if its too anemic for me - or maybe put in the big bore. I am just going to putt putt on trails anyways - no splats or anything.

I am struggling trying to figure out its year. The dealer said 2012, but its a bit too worn for a 2012. The 12th digit of the VIN is a 0, so does tha mean 2010?

My bike is orange with orange front fender and electric start.

Looking at the wayback machine, the history from the scorpa site:

2008 - blue - kick start

2009 - no 125

2010 - orange with silver front fender - kick start

2011 - no 125

2012 - orange with orange front fender - kick start (but mine is electric start?!?!)

Edited by trialtrial