Ty80 - What Fuel Mix / Is Unleaded Petrol Ok?

ty80boy

I've just got a Yamaha TY80 for my son and was wondering what the oil / petrol ratio was?

The oil / petrol is mixed in the tank and the closest guess I have is 20:1 which is what my FS1-E was, back in the day>

Also, the bike would have tun on leaded fuel. Do I need to get a fuel supplement for unleaded?

I haven't ridden trials since the 80s (I used to have a Bultaco and a Montesa) and so am a bit out of touch.

Thanks.

I'll start the conflicting replies.... I use Castrol TTS at 50 - 1 in all my 2 stroke stuff,including a TY80,TY250's,strimmer 5 chainsaws etc.All run well with little smoke,no coking up etc.Some of the chainsaws have also done a huge amount of work with no problems at all.

The unleaded is no problem,the lead was there to stop valve and seat wear in 4 stroke motors,so no additives are needed.

• Like 1

I'll start the conflicting replies.... I use Castrol TTS at 50 - 1 in all my 2 stroke stuff,including a TY80,TY250's,strimmer 5 chainsaws etc.All run well with little smoke,no coking up etc.Some of the chainsaws have also done a huge amount of work with no problems at all.

The unleaded is no problem,the lead was there to stop valve and seat wear in 4 stroke motors,so no additives are needed.

same but give the 80 a little thrashing once in a while and carry a spare plug for it

• Like 1