4Rt, Should It Spark Every Kick?

manxmann3

Evening all.

Ive not ridden my 05 4rt for about 6 months and today went to start it and nothing. Id serviced the bike 6 month back, oil change, air filter, NEW plug. The bike did run spot on after oil change etc.

So checked the plug by holding it againt the exhaust and its not sparking on every kick? Is this normal? Was old fuel but ive put fresh in tank as well.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi

Yes it should make a spark on every kick. But remember when you kickstart it not to let the engine turn too slowly.

Then there are the stop button that could disturb the ignition system if button are stuck in a specific position.

Have you tried with a new sparkplug despite of that you replaced it last time you had it started ?

Do you have a mutimeter and to you know how to use it ?

Regards

Honda Freak

Edited by honda_freak

Thanks fellas. I got a mate to earth the plug and its sparking well. just i wasnt cranking it hard enough by hand whilst holding the plug to earth.

Now im thinking i could have another proble. Its so long ago that i used the bike, i think i might have used old 2 stroke fuel or really stale fuel!

Theres a really odd smell to the fuel i removed from the bike earlier. Could this of blocked the injector?

Im clutching at straws here!

Thanks

Remove the seat and air filter. Spray some starting fluid in the intake and give it a kick. Spark and fuel should at least make a pop or two. If so, then it is probably a fuel supply problem.

You have drained all the old fuel, right? With fuel in the tank you should be able to disconnect the fuel line from the injector and see if the fuel pump is working. If it is, then remove the injector, reconnect the fuel line and see if the injector squirts fuel. If it is, and you have spark it should start.

Let us know what you have done and the results you get.

Good luck

Do you know anyone that has a 4rt, if so, borrow the complete fuel system(tank,hose and injector) and try it on yours, if it starts, it's a fuel problem. Next thing to do then, strip the fuel tank, drain the fuel out of the pump and filter, clean everything, power up the fuel pump to see if it's working, flush everything with fresh fuel. If your fuel tank/pump has rust in it, that could be your problem too.