Different Groups At A Trial

toetoe

i have just had a look at whats on in the next week or so and in one of the advertisements it gives you the different routs that will be available on the day and one of them is over whatever, does that mean you can have a go at any of the circuits but the points don't count or is it something different.

That's our trial, Stafford Auto, on boxing day. The 'over whatever' reference is just a tongue in cheek reference to the O/40 class that in recent times has evolved into O/40, O/50 and O/60 classes at some events. It will actually be O/40 on the entry form. All it means is however far past 40 you are, there is still a route suitable for you to ride.

Essentially, what you're interested in foremost, is which route is suitable for you and it's your riding ability that should determine that. When you've decided which route to ride, then you can decide which class you want to enter and that will depend on any number of factors - your age or the type of bike you ride being the more common examples.

If you're over 40 years old and on a modern bike you'd choose O/40 class and probably ride either the easy, medium or 50/50 route. However, you could still enter the O/40 class and ride the hard route if you're O/40 and an expert standard rider. Or you could just enter as expert regardless of your age. If you're over 40 and riding a Pre65 or twinshock bike you could enter either the respective class for the bike or as O/40. It's up to you.

You'll find riders of the same class riding different routes. We'll have twinshock riders for example on the easy, medium and 50/50 routes - the hard route too if they're good enough and confident enough. All it means is, when the results come out you can compare yourself to riders on the same route in the same class or with the same type of machine, as the results are categorised by route and then the different classes that rode that route. It's just a club trial, not a championship so you're not bound to one route depending on what class you ride.

Whatever your age or the bike you ride, you'll find a route suitable. I haven't been to the farm yet, so not sure how dry or wet it is there, going to mark out tomorrow. The forecast for the venue looks favourable over the run up to boxing day, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Hi Woody, I and a couple of others from Macc are perhaps going to give it a go, this will be my 2nd trial and a friends first!

We are really looking forward to it.

Is there an up to date website for your club, or a social site, where more info is posted?

Cheers.

Be good to see you there if you can make it.

We have a website but it's not that well maintained really as you'll note from the next event info, it's just updated with results from each event, although they are also e-mailed out as well as posted on the front page on here.

We're only a small club with 4 or 5 active members involved in putting the events on, so there's not really much info to put on the website. We run 5 or 6 events a year which are advertised on the front page on here as well as the calendar.

If it's your 1st / 2nd trial, I'd recommend the easy route as primarily you're aiming for an enjoyable day out. The medium route isn't difficult but the difference being you're more likely to run up a high score on that route which can be demoralising. Gaining experience is all all about learning to read the lines through the sections and getting the bike in the right position to negotiate whatever hazards you face in the section, knowing when to apply throttle, when to back off, weighting yourself on the bike for grip etc. All best done on the easy route to begin with. A few trials on the easy route to learn those basics and you'll soon be up onto the medium.

The trial doesn't start until 11, so if you're unsure as to which route to choose, if you get there early you can have a ride down to the sections (about 200 yards from where you park) and have a look to see what they're like before you sign on. Even though it's your first events, if you've practised a lot and become competent in the basics, you may feel you can go for the medium. But riding within the confines of section markers is quite different from practise. Without knowing what you ride like I can only suggest the easy route to begin with.

http://www.staffordautoclub.co.uk/

Yes, given the conditions, that's the best option. Been up today to set sections. Very very wet.

The weather forecast for the venue, on the BBC website which I checked before I set off this morning, said fine weather from tomorrow through to 27th, so sections will dry out to some extent and have been set with that in mind. Then I get home and see an all new forecast with torrential rain forecast nationwide tomorrow and carrying over onto Tuesday...

Great, the weather shafts us every time we have a trial.

Never mind, it'll be ok on the day, I'll be up there at first light on boxing day to make any adjustments

thanks woody, everything i needed to know, at the moment i can't get to meeting but that should change in the next 3-4 weeks, it all sounds just what i was looking for, i think it would be best to do the easy route first to get used to things and slowly progress, is the same farm open for practice through the week or is it just for organised trials?

my friend and i share a bike.... is there a way we can switch number plates after each section ? just doing it for a bit fo fun on the easy route. cheers

There's nothing in the rules as far as I'm aware that prevents this but the practicalities of sharing make it difficult. By the time one has ridden the section, gone back and handed the bike over, there is a fair delay before the second rider completes the section. Especially if it is difficult to get the bike back to the start of the section, depending on section location etc. Multiply this 40 times for a 10 section 4 lap trial and you could still be on your second lap when all other riders are finishing. Then you have to consider observers, who aren't going to hang about for a prolonged period for two riders as they'll think you've retired when you don't appear on consecutive laps like everyone else.

You could put your faith in the goodwill of other riders, queue together which means that when rider 1 rides the section, rider 2 stays at the head of the queue and rides immediately the bike is returned. If other riders are willing to let you get straight on it and ride, it would at least get you through the sections quicker. I guess some will be accommodating, some will whinge.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the support. Not a bad entry for a boxing day trial. A bit wet... the weather over the last few days had rearranged some sections, blown markers out and the stream had risen and removed tape as well as markers.

A bit of re-plotting needed this morning because of that, plus marking out 9 and 10 but the sections seemed to ride well enough on the whole, from speaking to a few riders during and after

Results will go on front page when done, but probably not until tomorrow eve earliest at a guess