Fitting A Mono Swing Arm To Twin Shock Frame

badams

Yes, OTF, I had one on a Majesty 320. Reasons I did it were several

The Majesty had been modified with a steeper head angle (and I wouldn't do that again either) and was fitted with mono forks. The result was a shorter wheelbase, even with the leading axle forks, so the swingarm needed to be lengthened. I had several choices, lengthen the standard swingarm, get another to lengthen or, I had a mono swingarm which I could modify to fit. I didn't want to ruin thae standard one, couldn't be bothered to wait for another t/s arm to come along to lengthen so I decided to use the mono item. Plus, the Majesty rear hub was broken all around the flange, so I could use the mono wheel with the swingarm (as I had a complete mono in the shed, fit for only breaking) And finally, it was an easier job for me, with limited welding / fabricating skills to make the mono fit.

The mono arm is way too long in its standard length. I cut the front pivot mounts off, far benough back to give the length I wanted. Welded on a tube, same ID and OD as the original to utilise standard bushes / tube, spindle etc. Made up mounts for the shock mounts and in it went.

Would I do it just for the sake of it? No. Basically, a swingarm is two sticks of metal attached to the frame one end and carrying a wheel and shock mounts at the other. There is no advantage at all in replacing the standard arm with one from the mono. I did it for a reason, as above, but it didn't work any better than a standard swingarm lengthened. It was still just two sticks of metal etc.

Unless you've a specific reason for doing it, it really isn't worth the bother and will offer no advantage at all.

It is a 76 ty 250. I have installed the ty mono front end on it and was thinking of using the mono swing arm and rear hub. Why to save a little weight and to be different. I am the same as woody I have a mono parts bike kicking around so why not. I have seen a few mono's with twin shocks fitted. So I was thinking of fitting mono parts to the twin shock frame. Save a little weight and still be able to ride in the vintage class hear in Canada.