Tyre Tread Depth

toetoe

you need your tyres to be square at the top of the knobs, if they are rounded then you are compromising your grip- I don't know of any checks that are done, but they must be proper trials tyres fitted to the bike I think thats the only thing. When I rode every week as a rule of thumb I changed mine every 4 trials and used the ones I had taken off for practice.

• Like 1

Never ears of checking tyres, just make sure they are square as stated above.

Not to sure about changing tyres after every 4 trials though, seems a bit extreme to me. We're not talking MX here.

I've had my IRC tyres on for about 6 months now and they are still good. That's riding rocks, limestone and mud. Daily.

Never ears of checking tyres, just make sure they are square as stated above.

Not to sure about changing tyres after every 4 trials though, seems a bit extreme to me. We're not talking MX here.

I've had my IRC tyres on for about 6 months now and they are still good. That's riding rocks, limestone and mud. Daily.

Hi Lee, Eddie used to ride pro. Google him bud. Amazing rider. That`s why he would change his tire after only four trials. :xmas:

• Like 1

I don't ride at a very high level, I'm not sponsored nor do I have money to burn so my tyres last way longer than 4 trials.

To give you an idea: a new rear Michelin has center knobs that are about 13mm high. On the rear tyre of my monty, the knobs are about 10mm high and I not planning a tyre change in the near future.

( I must say the leading edge isn't to round, maybe because I did a 4 day trial with a lot of road between the sections)

On the GasGas that I bought, the leading edge was more rounded of so I turned the tyre on the rim, which is a reasonable common practice...

Also, don't worry to much about the little cracks around the knobs

I guess it's just what you expect from a tyre and the budget you've got...

• Like 1

Hi toetoe, as Eddie says no scrutineering at local trials that I have ever seen. Did you get your transport sorted yet ? Riding them on the road destroys them so so quickly.

No licence yet, i have had a letter from the dvla saying that they have sent my doctor a letter and if she says it,s ok for me to drive then they will give me my licence back and with being a cancer patient i see my doctor about every 4 weeks and she is backing me all the way, so it's just a matter of waiting.

i thought changing my tyres every 4 weeks was a bit extreme but had an idea he was talking more on the pro side of the sport, my tyres are quite good for now but i will probably change them when i start weekly meetings, i hoping to get one full practice day and one trials meeting in per week and from what i can gather most of it will be on grass, mud kind of ground, to start with at least, thanks everyone for your replies.

regards

Tony

Guys I am not the real Eddy Lejeune, he is Eddy.

I was a semi expert rider but still changed the rear tyre after 4 trials

you say you was a semi expert rider so do you still change your tyres after every 4 trials meetings.

dont ride very often now.

That's irrelevant surely... You said you change them after every 4 trials. So doesnt matter how often you ride, your still changing them after 4 trials.

For what it's worth, if you feel like you have grip, the tread is fine. If your struggling for grip, get a new tyre. Or if your a bit strapped for cash, turn the tyre round.