How About Some Royal Enfield Crusaders ?

laird387

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I think I'm going to start a 'First Aid Tent' section for lost children!

This is one of a huge pile of negatives that was parted from its identity during one of our house moves, it looks to me like the 'Old Codgers' on Hungry Hill in about 1998 - but that;s a guess - so over to you, does anybody recognise the rider?

Nice detail of a Crusader though - enjoy.

post-19290-0-24957000-1394437589_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

On the Royal Enfield Crusader at Gypsy Hollow in 1962. Arthur Dovey’s memories of the little Enfield are less than complimentary!

The Enfield was purchased from Lawton and Wilson, but Arthur found he just couldn’t ride it.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-66120000-1394727352_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Regular competitors in the early British Bike and then the Sammy Miller series, were the Peeling brothers from the Reading area.

Way back in the day they had favoured the sidecar competitions, but then their allegiance swopped to a pair of Royal Enfield Crusaders. Here we see Mick Peeling in the Three Musketeers trial.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-68814000-1395146850_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The 'other' Peeling brother, Mick, seen some years ago(!!) on his very tidy Royal Enfield Crusader.

Enjoy.

(Sparks - checking around, this apparently is the Gaunt version, a 360cc. Well spotted, Deryk)

post-19290-0-78417000-1395311350_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

The 'other' Peeling brother, Mick, seen some years ago(!!) on his very tidy Royal Enfield Crusader.

Enjoy.

Hi

Is this (617 JGU) the experimental 350cc Crusader built by (or for) Peter Gaunt ??

Regards

Sparks

Hi sparks,

I don't think so - will have to ask Peter next time I see him - I always thought he used bits from Peter Fletcher's 'stock of useful parts' - but I will look on any pics of Peter on the Crusader+ and see what his regd. no. was.

Cheers.

In the meantime here is Mick Peeling with another of his Enfields.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-39568100-1395327156_thumb.jpg

Hi sparks,

I don't think so - will have to ask Peter next time I see him - I always thought he used bits from Peter Fletcher's 'stock of useful parts' - but I will look on any pics of Peter on the Crusader+ and see what his regd. no. was.

Cheers.

In the meantime here is Mick Peeling with another of his Enfields.

Enjoy.

Thanks for your reply Deryk.

But the barrel does look taller than normal - the tank has had to be sculpted on the bottom.

Could RE experts tell by counting the fins??

Edited by sparks2

Hi sparks,

My understanding of Peter Gaunt's modifications ( one of the main reasons the task was started was that the factory told him it was not possible.........) was that he bored the flywheels closer to the rim for the connecting rod and welded up the old holes, then scraped and shaped the base of the piston to give clearance for the flywheels - so there should be no clues in the outward appearance.

The real 'tight fit' was when Fearless Fred shoe-horned a 500 Bullet motor into his Crusader frame - and naturally, I have photos of that. Without checking memory suggests that was 98 DNW'

Cheers.

(Decided to have a hunt and here is Peter on the 500 Crusader in the 1966 Scottish - enjoy.)

post-19290-0-38287600-1395340721_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi,

Another image from my pile of negatives that have lost their identity.

The rider is navigating the Stratford Tony Splash in the Arbuthnot and the bike looks like an Enfield Crusader - so that would be one of the army of 'helpers' from the Salisbury club that rode non-eligible bikes in the trial proper - but were there to help the golden oldies through any awkward deep mud - or whatever.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-10389700-1395410682_thumb.jpg

Hi,

When Royal Enfield introduced the Crusader all of their 'works' riders were given one to evaluate. Here Peter Fletcher is seen on 250 RE, the one that ended up in Barrie Rodgers' stable.

Peter just couldn't take to the Crusader - waste of space, was his view. But bear in mind Peter was a member of the West Leeds club, whose home ground and regular practice area was Post Hill.

Now Peter is a big lad - and the main slope of the actual 'Post Hill' - the freak hill climb that attracted knock-out hill climbs for the 'Yorkshire Post' trophy, hence the name - had a slope that was measured, in old money, at 1:1.4 - and I can tell you from bitter personal experience, that is as near vertical as I ever wanted to try and ride up........

That is why Peter opted to shoe-horn a Bullet 500 motor into a Crusader frame and ride as a privateer.......

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-21801700-1395734671_thumb.jpg