Little Jimmys

laird387

Hi,

Another offroadarchive image, this time loaned by Bill Martin himself and scanned by Gordon Francis.

It depicts Bill riding his works James in the 1962 Otter Vale club's President's Trophy trial.

Sadly the James factory had only another few years existence before the Associated Motor Cycles empire finally collapsed.

Enjoy

(I hope this image will make one Scot happy!)

post-19290-0-48530200-1388851692_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi,

Another of the riders of the works James, the machine that now resides in bonny Scotland, Mick Dismore lines the bike up for a steep drop on the 'White Rocks' section of the 1962 national John Douglas trial, organised in October by the Bristol MC & LCC.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-41700200-1389004077_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Guy's,

Just to prove how respected ORR was.

I remember being at the Norton Rotary auction, and the owners ex works James was for sale .a copy of the Off Road Review was used as a reference by several potential buyers of the bike, to prove it was the genuine article.

Not just a magazine, more of a reference library . That what I use my copies for anyway.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Hi, Charlie,

You are not the only user of ORR as a form of reference, the Barber Motor Museum in the States is another 'believer', moreover since their historical consultant is Brian Slark, who before moving 'across the pond' was employed at Plumstead and was the comp. shop mechanic responsible for Gordon Jackson's bikes, I respect their approval !!

Cheers

Hi,

Charlie Prescott mentions the sale of the remnants of AMC at the Norton Rotary auction.

The sale came about when the last owner, who had bought the remnants previously to keep a little part of British motorcycle history alive, had achieved that dream simply as a result of a significant lottery win. He was a good friend of mine and I had helped him find many of the necessary eluisive bits to restore some of his collection of James models. Sadly, having achieved his life-long dream he became terminally ill with cancer.

Hi,

The James factory at Greet, Birmingham, had produced 'sports' models of their utilitarian little twostrokes for many years. Here is a trials model from around 1954 in the days when British manufacturers felt that the disadvantage of all the weight of rear suspension was far greater than any problems caused by having a solid rear end.

This is Harry Stanistreet of the Midland Classic club, riding in the first North Lancs club's trials we were evaluating for incorporation in the British Bike championship, with his rigid little Jimmy.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-56463600-1389016347_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

'Keith' wasn't it? A pipe fitter friend of mine put me in touch with him, (pre win), as I was restoring a BSA and my friend said something along the lines of ' your just like him, always waffling about old bikes, I'll give you his number, he said he might be able to help'

I hesitantly called this 'old bloke' ( late 90s I was approaching 30), and ended up chatting for 45 mins to a complete stranger. He generously offered to keep an eye out for a few parts, and even bought me a tank on spec, despite never having met face to face and only chatting once. He popped in with said tank and we had a good chat, and it was 12 months later that I heard about 'the win'.

Shame how his life was cut short, prob only spoke to him for 90mins total, but I still felt like we had common ground, 'waffling about old bikes'

I've still got the tank on the shelf, I'd found a better one but paid him because it was a nice gesture from him

Hi,

Another of the riders of the works James, the machine that now resides in bonny Scotland, Mick Dismore lines the bike up for a steep drop on the 'White Rocks' section of the 1962 national John Douglas trial, organised in October by the Bristol MC & LCC.

Enjoy

And of course I know exactly where this very bike resides! No, it's not one of mine, but owned for many years by a very close friend!

Hope you are well Deryk!

Big John

Hi,

Another offroadarchive image, this time loaned by Bill Martin himself and scanned by Gordon Francis.

It depicts Bill riding his works James in the 1962 Otter Vale club's President's Trophy trial.

Sadly the James factory had only another few years existence before the Associated Motor Cycles empire finally collapsed.

Enjoy

(I hope this image will make one Scot happy!)

Anymore ?

Hi again,

One of my favourite photographs of Bill Martin on his works James, spotted for offroadarchive by ace photographer - and official witness at our wedding - Gordon Francis. Bill is seen here in the Taunton club's Edwards Trophy trial in December 1962.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-75790800-1389467369_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another image from the offroadarchive to help one Scotsman prove his little Jimmy still works!

Bill Martins old works James in action on Caolasnacoan in the 2000 Pre-65 Scottish - in what I think were the good old days.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-33516100-1389554844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1