Plenty Of Choice, But......

elliotsdaddy

The Sherco could be a good bet given that it's had a rebuild - that could save you quite a wad of cash if you're looking to keep the bike more than a short time, and £995 seems a reasonable starting point for negotiation for an '04..

In my view the Sherco is also more of a modern bike than a 15 year old Gas Gas. Yes, Gassers are popular now but the present bike is quite a long way from what a 1998 model represents.

Much really depends on the overall condition of each bike. It should be easy to see signs of neglect or poor maintenance, eg corrosion on vulnerable points such as exhaust, spokes/nipples and bolts/allen screws around the bike. If either bike has loads of dents or scratches (though any trials bike will have some signs of use) it's probably had quite a hard life which doesn't usually coincide with conscientious maintenance. Try asking the owners how often they change the oil or clean the air fiter - a blank look can tell a lot.

Good luck.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

A lot of good advice there cleanorbust....thanks very much.

Might have a pop along to see the Sherco on Thursday.

Both bikes are situated at a breakers yard. The yard buy and sell bikes and cars as part of their business, but I cant stop thinking that it'll be a bag of nails, just because it's at a breakers.

Hopefully I'll be proved wrong, and hopefully they'll have a bit of info about the bike.

Rebuild or no rebuild, if they haven't got a clue of the bikes service history/owners etc, it's going to put a confident potential purchase in to a more nervous state.

We shall see....

Hmmm, best bet is going to be taking as thorough assessment as possible of each bike, including a ride to test all gears, clutch, brakes, check for smoky exhaust, lack of damping in the suspension, leaking forks, buckled wheels and making a judgement on how mechanically noisy the engine is. If it sounds akin to a food mixer best leave it alone. A bit of a lottery but if someone has taken the time and expense to do a rebuild (best check on what exactly that entailed if possible) on the Sherco then chances are it may be better than average for its age.

Well it looks as though the Sherco is looking quite promising.

The breakers yard are selling it on behalf of a customer who is "well into their trial riding".

The breakers couldn't tell me much other than the rebuild was done by their inhouse motorbike chappie, who I am assured is quite competent.

I have the number for the owner so I will give him a bell later and see whats what.

I have seen a lot of topics with people asking about engine size and whats best. With that in mind would a 290 be a bit overkill for a beginner?

I like shercos but the 290 is a monster for a beginner in my opinion. A 200 of any brand is best, a 250 would also be good. Don't be in a rush to buy something just because its nearby. 250 Scorpa is a lovely bike, Japanese quality engine.

I like shercos but the 290 is a monster for a beginner in my opinion. A 200 of any brand is best, a 250 would also be good. Don't be in a rush to buy something just because its nearby. 250 Scorpa is a lovely bike, Japanese quality engine.

Thanks for that fella.

It is hard not to get carried away because it's so close to home.

I spoke to the owner last night and it does sound like a well looked after example.

He is a bike mechanic by trade with 30years experience, so I'm confident the rebuild, which he done himself, is of a good quality.

He is a keen trial rider and said that before he does any trail he makes sure the bike is 100% up together.

All in all there is nothing verbally that I can fault. Just need to see it in person and judge for myself really.

If I get chance before work ill pop in to view it and see where that takes me. It seems like a good bike for £995.

I wouldn't let the fact it's a 290 put you off too much. A slow action twistgrip and retarding the ignition a bit should take the edge off the power delivery.

Thanks for that mate.

I didn't have chance to see it today, partly due to time but mostly due to the horrid weather.

I know how much of a 'no no' it is viewing a car in the rain and although that's not too big of a deal when looking at a bike, I still would prefer to have a good 40min or so with it in the dry. Have a potter and get it warm yadah yadah yadah......

Lets hope tomorrow is a bit more successful. :)

Well I had a look at the old Sherco today.

I had a really good chat to the owner, who as it happened was there as I pulled up, luckily.

He gave me lots of great advice on what to look for in a bike and lots to think about with regards getting used to doing trials.

He said Steve Saunders does a trial day near here which was the best £65 he ever spent.

His lad is into his riding too so he seems like a genuine enthusiast which eases the nerves slightly.

Now I don't really know too much about what to look for but the obvious stuff seems in order.....forks dry after compression, no damage to the fork tubes. Brake pads in good order. Front and rear sprocket teeth are nice and straight. Everything that requires grease seems well lubed up. Clutch bite point was nice and progressive, not at all 'on' or 'off'. There was no smoke on start up. It's been stood for a fair few weeks so I wasn't expecting it to start on the button, but after 5 or 6 kicks she fired up. Both tyres are like brand new, and of course there is the added bonus of it being rebuilt with new front and rear wheel bearings.

I had a little potter around the limited space available and it rides smooth....took a little while to adjust to standing up mind you, but i'm sure that will ease over time.

I said I needed to have a think and i asked about money....the lowest he will go is £900, but I did get out of him that he would consider an offer.

Can I have your thoughts please? At £900 it seems like a great buy.