Honda Tlr 200 Tickover

chappo

Hi guys,

Took the top off my TLR, cleaned the piston ,head and reground the valves, new seals etc.

It had the original Keihin carb on it which was a bit past its sell by date, but I also got a replacement carb with the bike, a SHENG WAY, which are the cheap Keihin replicas I believe.

None of the jets are marked with numbers?

Anyway, fitted it but it has a fluctuating tickover. It starts and runs fine but settles at a tickover, then after a few minutes drops several hundred rpms and cuts out/stalls. Restart it and its fine again. The throttle cable is lubed and free and not catching anywhere

I have had the inlet off it and smoothed it off with fine glass paper on a flat surface and fitted the correct O ring to prevent carb distortion.

I've just ordered some new jets for it so we'll see how it goes with them in.

Its a new Iridium plug and the timings fine.................anybody had similar problems or have a SHENG WAY carb fitted. I'm in the UK at sea level so its not an altitude issue.

Regards.

Hi chappo,

I got my ShengWey from shedworks with unmarked jets, Paul Cowley said they are main 100 and pilot 42. Original for Reflex Keihin is main 92 and pilot 38, imho a little too lean for proper work above idle.

I tried main 95 and pilot 40 and it works well.

Rollox

Thanks Rollox.

I'm still running the original Honda exhaust, which Classictrial say works really well when used in conjunction with a well sorted carb.

I believe historically my bike was a Californian import which makes you think it may be chocked up somewhere due to their strict fuelling laws, is there anything to be removed in the exhaust system?

Or has anyone any comments on changing it to a WES or DEP system, or similar.

Thanks.

Thanks Rollox.

I'm still running the original Honda exhaust, which Classictrial say works really well when used in conjunction with a well sorted carb.

I believe historically my bike was a Californian import which makes you think it may be chocked up somewhere due to their strict fuelling laws, is there anything to be removed in the exhaust system?

Or has anyone any comments on changing it to a WES or DEP system, or similar.

Thanks.

I have both a Calif TLR and non-Calif TLR. There is some funky extra tubing and stuff attached to the airbox. I assume that in replacing the carb, you eliminated those things. The exhaust is the same on both bikes.

You will get more from the better jetting than by changing the exhaust system. The rear muffler does have a baffle that I think you can remove but I have not tried it because I like a quiet bike. Loud bikes are a good way to get riding areas closed.

One other restrictor is the plastic piece that fits into the top of the airbox. It has several "tubes" that the air has to go through. Remove it. You will get more intake noise but it lets the engine inhale.

Those after market exhausts are good but way more money than jets.

I just put the pretend Mikuni on my TLR....it is such a vast improvement on the stock Keihin I really can't believe it. I have the alloy WES exhaust system and an aftermarket air cleaner, just a little canister. I just started it up today for the first time. It was absolutely perfect. After riding for about five minutes I had to take the idle down a bit, but that was all. No stalling...no peeing gas...no backfires...and a rock steady response from idle. I couldn't be happier