Ccm Trials

laird387

Hi,

Alan Clews was a motorcycle nut from Bolton in Lancashire, he had a dream of completing the job which BSA should have done with their unit single models so he bought a batch of engines and began to prepare his bikes, both scramblers and trials.

Here is an example of the production trials machine that Mary photographed in 1992 at the first North Lancs Classic trial, sadly I can not remember the name of the rider - but I believe he was local.

I bought one of them, hopeful that it would give me a British fourstroke I could still ride in trials - I was not impressed!

Left with the factory ignition settings the bike would reliably die on you at every prime opportunity. Then I started my own timing experiments and ended up with setting it nominally to 4 degrees of retard, then fitted a hotter plug and the bike was transformed. But with Marzocci forks on the front it could not be ridden in any of the classic trials, so I sold it and went back to my Ariel.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-50048400-1389887377_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Some where in my photo collection i have a picture of the CCM when it was new at Scout moor , Edenfield.

That would be around 1978 . i'll rout it out and scan it on this thread.See if any of you recognize it . beautiful slice of engineering history .