Needle Bearings

chris west

Hey all .. Just giving my bike a once over today ready for a clubman novice easy going trial tomorrow . I wanted to regrease linkage. But came to find the dog bone bearings pretty shot and defo need changing .... Long story short I don't want to miss this trial tomorrow but can't get the parts whilst tomorrow afternoon...., will it be safe to reassemble now with the shot bearings and take it anyway ..

Thanks guys

I bought my lad one of them japenese dirt bikes for crimbo and they don't even have dog bones .. Just straight spring connected to swing arm ... Surely for one light run the gas gas will be ok .... What's the worst that could happen ...there will be no steps or anything ..

Any advice welcome

Of course, the best thing would be to replace the bearings with new.

Linkage bearings are not subject to high rpms like an engine or transmission bearing. Therefore, there condition is not as critical. You rode the bike with bad bearings and only discovered the problem on disassembly.

Could you make some sort of sleeve bushing for temporary use? I have seen a thread where some people were turning bushings out of nylon and completely replacing the dog bone bearings with solid bushings. Reportedly, they have lasted for more than a year and show no signs of wear or distortion.

If you remember, most of the twin shock bikes had sleeve bushings with no rollers on their swing arms. How long did they last? Some are still working!

Sorry to the purists, but I hate to see a guy miss a day of riding for something that can easily have a temporary fix.

Edited by thats_a_five

I bought my lad one of them japenese dirt bikes for crimbo and they don't even have dog bones .. Just straight spring connected to swing arm ... Surely for one light run the gas gas will be ok .... What's the worst that could happen ...there will be no steps or anything ..

Any advice welcome

Worse that could happen is you bend the linkage bolts. With no big steps or hard impacts, that is unlikely.

No wait, worse that could happen is you don't go riding and you have to stay home and do some of those things on the "honey-do" list. :stupid:

• Like 3