Water Pump Oil Seal

neonsurge

Bit of an emergency, this one.

Is it possible (and how do you do it?) to replace the water pump oil seal on a Rev3 without removing the whole side casing. I've got the water pump cover off and removed the impeller but I can't see any obvious way of removing (and replacing) the seal!

I don't have a new clutch cover gasket to hand so removing the whole cover isn't an option at this stage. I asked Lampkins what I'd need for the job and they sent me a new seal and o-ring, so I'm pretty sure that it should be possible - I just don't know how!

I'm supposed to be riding this afternoon - help!

Chances are not in your favor, I would say, without removing the side case. You also run the risk of not getting the new seal installed squarely in the case bore. Leave the clutch cover on, but remove the entire sidecase (loosen the screws - tap the case with a rubber mallet GENTLY, then remove the screws). This may save the main sidecase seal. Then use RTV silicone to re-install the sidecase.

You may experience some oil leaking, but you can ride until you get a new sidecase gasket.

Thanks Clark. I managed to remove the seal by carefully prying it out and tapping another in using a socket, but it's still leaking so I guess you were right. Sucks be to me I guess. I'll get hold of a new seal and side case gasket and do the job properly this week.

In the past month I've had a partially siezed gearbox, assorted wiring problems, replaced 2 wheel and one shock bearing, fork seals, repaired numerous stripped threads and now this (one two different bikes, I hasten to add). The perils of buying second hand I suppose. Even so, I'm starting to think I'm mechanically cursed somehow. :D<_<

Sorry Neonsurge, It is a bit late now, but here is my bit anyway. No it is not easy to do. Pull the side case.

When you replace the side case, take care with the gasket (the plain paper one works best) and consider a bit of gasket sealing compound too.

Good luck

Rob W

Edited by Rob W