Why Oset And Not Kuberg?

wallrat

Just curious why this forum is 99% Oset. After looking at the two smallest models for my 3 year old I was pretty unimpressed with the build quality on the Oset. Ended up getting a Kuberg Start and he's rocking it.

Don't get me wrong, both are great bikes and I'm very pleased to have a choice of small electric bikes for my son. Just curious if there was some reason unknown to me why Oset seems to be the preferred brand.

I was familiar with the history of Oset before my purchase. While a nice story, the bikes are clearly made in China. I'm not going to get into a globalization debate, I'm just more interested in any potential merits of one brand vs. the other as far as performance, value, longevity, ease of use, etc.

• Like 1

Its a fair point, the reason why I bought my son Oset was there is much more knowledge available on the net and more popular. Better for problem solving.

Also as they have been selling these bikes for longer, on that bases i'd guess they would probably have more experience and already recified common problems.

I think the main reason is Oset have a history in this country going back several years so there are more customers already out there. They are also proactive in promoting the brand via sponsership etc. Kuberg have only been coming into the country just under a year i believe so they will take time to build the same following. Interestingly i saw a KUBERG ADULT electric bike at a show last month (the prototype)

Yeah the TRex. Haven't seen it in person yet and no list price on the website. I'm suspecting its gonna be in the 10k range just because that's the price of the competition + ability to ride anywhere. As much as I'd love to have one, I just can't see myself dropping that kind of coin.

On the original topic, I suppose pedigree counts for something but I tend to favor whatever product has the most bang for my buck. At this time I feel that Kuberg has the definite advantage. I realize that a 3-5 year old is probably not going to stress the bike so much as to pop even lousy welds, but if I can get clean welds and better construction for the same price, I'm gonna go that route. I'm hoping Oset cleans up their quality issues so I have a more competitive choice when it's time for my offspring's next bike.

Figured this thread needed some pics since Kuberg is woefully underrepresented on this forum. Sorry for the quality, crappy cell phone, etc.

My offspring is pretty solid on his Strider bike but had some confidence issues when he got the Kuberg so I ended up making him a set of training wheels. I suspect the weight is the biggest issue so I'm planning on lightening it up a bit. We're having an active discussion (at a 3yr old level) about ditching the training wheels and wearing his full face helmet. Hopefully soon but I'm letting him choose his pace - he only recently graduated to speed setting #2 (of 5 total) on pavement. On grass/dirt setting #1 is pretty much useless so he's been on #2 since his 1st trip to the park.

Kid discovered he could slide out the rear wheel in the water the other day. Notice the tire tracks...

CD3E5F79-ADE1-4144-8612-0F307DC2BB3E_zps

4B4DFA2E-507F-4FDE-A3B4-E835FA7F3C8E_zps

A glance under the bonnet. Planning on switching to LiPo's in the next month or so for a 9.5 lb weigh savings (and lowering the center of gravity). That little black box mounted to the front of the top battery (left side of the pic) is a remote cutoff switch. The separate 4AA battery pack for it is mounted just behind the lower battery. My kid thinks its funny to try to ditch us so we have a remote that we can hit to turn the power off to the motor. Got it here: http://www.3built.com/UniversalSwitchInfo.asp'>http://www.3built.com/UniversalSwitchInfo.asp

Notice the heim joints for the swingarm attachment.

2BAC893F-92DD-4618-A9D3-78D746D2AB27_zps

Edited by wallrat

More pics from today. Take notice of the build quality - these things are very solid. The US rep told me they have a fleet of Cross (different model) that the adults use around the warehouse. Everything is rated for a 200lb rider but has, according to him, taken considerably more on a regular basis without issue.

The bike came with a decent tool kit which supposedly covers every nut and bolt on the bike. However I did these pics with just the 3mm T-wrench shown.

IMG_1969_zpsaa794140.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsbb27f262.jpg

IMG_1966_zps509cdc27.jpg

IMG_1967_zpseb51028b.jpg

IMG_1970_zps436ddfbf.jpg

IMG_1971_zps92f7b7d8.jpg

IMG_1975_zps62109ac8.jpg

Speed adjustment (takes 2 hands to do it). 5 settings total. Lowest setting is fairly useless with a top speed of about 2.5mph on flat cement. 2nd setting is about 5-6mph on flat cement.

IMG_1976_zpsb90cb18e.jpg

Lever adjusters. My just-turned-3-a-week-ago-kid can reach these without taking his hands off the grips no problem.

IMG_1974_zps4c44fcea.jpg

Magnetic Kill Switch

IMG_1973_zpsd86a14a4.jpg

Kill switch and battery meter

IMG_1972_zps0e0edb0d.jpg

IMG_1984_zpsf1827984.jpg

IMG_1983_zps6288fccb.jpg

Edited by wallrat

• 4 weeks later...

well ive been after a used oset 20 for me to play about on for a while. For a toy i cant justify much money on one. I have to say its nice to see the likes of Kuberg and etricks coming to the market to change it up a little. That kuberg freeride is twice the power of the oset 20 too

well ive been after a used oset 20 for me to play about on for a while. For a toy i cant justify much money on one. I have to say its nice to see the likes of Kuberg and etricks coming to the market to change it up a little. That kuberg freeride is twice the power of the oset 20 too

The e-tricks have been around for at least 3years :-)... so nothing really new there except that have more options now... and from the spec of the free ride and videos that I have seen of the free ride in action, there is no way it has twice the power of the oset 20" ( it may this on a spec sheet but it dont make it true )..

The Kuberg Free-Rider is a better size for adults than the 20" Oset. Only 18 days left to back the Free-Rider to get it for $1999. Awesome price. I am already a backer for the Trex (full size trials bike for $4999). Be a backer now so you can get these awesome bikes for a great price. I WANT A TREX so I hope they reach their goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1511813482/kuberg-free-rider?ref=search

well ive done it. Ive backed the project on 2 bikes. If anyone is interested in it, here is the deal

Kuberg Free-rider (shipped sept 2014) - £1270 (going to be sold off for £2600 in UK)
Kuberg Trail E (new model) shipped may 2014) - £583 (currently selling old model in uk for £1095)