Velocette - As A Trials Bike?

laird387

Hi,

Quite a rarity, unless you come from the South-Western centre, where there were quite a few in captivity, were Velocette trials models.

To add to the spice of life John Husband, ace mechanic and fettler, could make this girder-forked rigid Velocette talk......

Enjoy - there's more to come!!

post-19290-0-30742100-1393761580_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Now here's the conundrum - to the best of my knowledge Velocette never produced, as a 'for general sale' item, a model for trials use.

The Hall Green factory is not in Gloucestershire - yet there were several Velocette trials models in use in pre-65 and long distance trials in the county.

So the conundrum is 'why'?

I have to admit a personal interest. When I was employed as a director of a communications manufacturer my own responsibilities included running the service and installation teams we had based around the regions, so as our annual reporting sessions were in full swing I had quite a few sessions with the independent auditors sent in to scrutinise our books. Over time one of them learned that I spent my weekends restoring and riding classic trials bikes - and admitted he had an interest in 'having a go' but couldn't find a bike - but he had a Velocette Venom of his father's that he was attempting to restore - but it was at the having dismantled it into the smallest possible parts phase - then forgotten how to put them back together.............we've all been there!

Over a few lunch-time natters we struck a deal - I had my BSA B21 competition model completed and running well, I had ridden it several times round the Arbuthnot course as we visited each section and each of the landowners verifying all was well in the build-up to 'the' day - so I was satisfied the bike was 'OK' - so with his van full of Velocette bits and a few shekels we did a swop.

When I had the Velocette rebuilt, as a road bike, it was a good looking bike, all the cycle parts freshly powder coated, all the alloy bits polished, the motor back to 'as new' condition when I got it - having had the 'Seymour' treatment - but out on the road was a revelation to me. I have never ridden a better bike on the road than that Venom. It handled superbly - the motor was flexible but with real grunt - the gearbox was a treat. I have also owned a Vincent Black Shadow (briefly) but I truly preferred the Venom on the road.

But I didn't have time to use it - and there was this farmer with a barn full of Ariel HT and HS bits who just wanted a road bike.........so a swop was done and I had enough Selly Oak bits to complete several HT restorations..........

So I know from personal experience that the sort of power a Hall Green motor can produce would be eminently suitable for trials use - but why do most of the Velocette based specials seem to have a Gloucestershire connection - over to you sleuths - what's the answer.

Meanwhile - here's another example - ridden by another rider with a penchant for 'things different' - Mike Newman.

post-19290-0-65764000-1396506933_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...