Tricks

jonny beta

have pretty good balance if you mean stood on the pegs , its easier to try it on a wet surface ( might fall off a few times thought) , First time i tried it was on snow that was hilarious and i could only accomplish half a circle without coming off. :wacko:

OK, I will make a stab at a serious answer for a second.

3rd or 4th Gear, depending on how bold you are,,,,

lean forward, all weight on front wheel,,,,,

Hold front brake, drop clutch at high revs to get rear wheel spinning,

Slowly release front brake, maintaining drag to controll speed to achieve desired amount of forward motion.....

If you want to go counter clockwise, turn front wheel to the right slightly, while leaning slightly to your left,,,,

Be aware that as you roll off throttle, or engage clutch, without fully disengaging it, that as the rear wheel slows, but is still driven, it will likely hook up and find traction, sending you rapidly in whatever direction you are pointed at the moment,

As Lew said, snow or wet grass, or at least grass will soften the blow as you fall............................

why do you want to donuts anyway? it just knackers your tyres up.

but if you are dead set on it then find flat ground that is slippery enough, but not too slippery, otherwise you will be all over the place, lean right over the front of the bike, and slightly lean the bike whilst keeping you body upright or eve a little to the opposite direction of the bike, this will prevent you from just falling flat like you see so many people do.it is probably best to start trying them anti-clockwise as this allows you to hold your left foot out just in case you should start to slide out, whilst keepin your right foot covering the back brake to adjust the speed at which the wheel is spinning.

also, although not absolutely necessary, it somtimes helps to have the front wheel in opposite lock to the direction of the bike.

thanks for the advise chaps. Reason is i am doing a small demo in a couple of weeks and am wanting to be able to do something like this for abit of fun.

Hopefully now i will be able to do them. Were the demo is it is on gravel so hopefully this should be enough to allow me to do them. :wacko:

Again, trying to be reasonably serious here.

I would strongly advise against doing anything that you are just learning in a demo. You want to concentrate on things that you do consistently well.

A demo of you crashing, pelting the spectators with rocks, or your bike launching into the crowd of onlookers just tends not to have the desired effects.

Cars are always good for Demo's, people can relate to the size of cars.

I did one Demo at a bike shop opening where they did a lot of sportbike stuff, I went up and challenged everyone to a burnout contest, my bike against theirs, only stipulation was that they had to do the burnout in the same place as I did, just to make it fair. They were lined up to take my bet, everyone certain that they could do far better burnouts than that silly little trials bike, So I started my show doing a burnout on the roof of the car we had for a demo......

It went over great! And a lot of the guys in the bet looked like this :wacko:

Nice one chap sounds good. May try that as i have a really poor back tyre on my bike at the moment so am not really worried about it getin slicked lol.

What other sort of things did you's do at the demo?

How many ppl were riding at it?

Is their anything i could do that looks really good but handy enough to do?

Reason y i was thinking of donuts was i thought it looked pretty good to ppl who had never seen anything like trials or other things like it.

At the demo we are having few skips, car, big logs. think thats it.

Wheelies, bunnyhop people, make a game out of it where you get some crowd involvement, DO NOT BRING SOMEONE OUT of the crowd that you are not POSITIVE about, put a ringer in the crowd.

Slow race the street bike guys is always fun, set up a lane that you can do a nose wheelie pivot turn in and go back and forth while the street bike tries to go slow.

Ride backwards

Do a vertical wheelie and bend forward and kiss the front fender.

Stand on the seat and wheelie.

Run side by side wheelies if you are doing it with a friend.

Nose wheelie Nack Nacks

Doug does the headstand with the bike balanced, but if you have not done that yet, do not bother.

Failed tricks look worse than no trick at all.

DO NOT, DO NOT ! let someone out of the crowd ride your bike. Yes I did, no it was not pretty, nothing like your riderless bike going down a path towards the group of extremely seriously and terminally ill children in wheelchairs and walkers with no rider on board to make you sick to your stomach.

If you can make a game of it, involve the audience, get them cheering you on and stay a level or two below your skills, you will have a good demo. What make's a trials rider go ohhhh and ahhhhh is not what makes a non-rider impressed.

Nahhh, it is easy for a man of my size, plenty of ballast!!!!

It is scary as crap though first time your visor hits the front tire ;)

I know you guys measure weight in stones, but heck, I am from TN, we use boulders around here. Just ask Andy :wacko:

Alan is a great parking lot rider, and the reigning Tennessee champ in the "fat-boy freestyle". I think it was the backwards riding that won it.

Ryan Young did a great job as "Squid-Lee" a few years ago, dressed up in a costume and did goon-rides with some great wheelies and such which appeared to be out-of control near-crashes. He had a goofy costume and mis-matched fenders on the bike, toilet paper rolls duct-taped to the helmet, etc. That made a great stunt. When trail riding a few years ago, Tommi Ahvala entered a local gas station at an alarming speed on a DR350 and proceeded to nose wheelie off a curb and into a broad slide up to the sidewalk yelling "how do you stop this thing!" and sent the nervous unsuspecting customers scattering everywhere. It was hilarious.

Tommi Ahvala entered a local gas station at an alarming speed on a DR350 and proceeded to nose wheelie off a curb and into a broad slide up to the sidewalk yelling "how do you stop this thing!" and sent the nervous unsuspecting customers scattering everywhere.  It was hilarious.

:blink: