Panther.

laird387

Hi,

All too often you will find heavily 'restored' models at classic shows that will never ever be used as motorcycles again. Indeed when I was on the committee of the national AJS & Matchless Owners Club we passed a rule for the annual 'Jampot' Rally that any machine that was intended to take part in the 'Concours d'Elegance' MUST have been ridden in the Sunday morning club run.

It therefore gives me great pleasure to show a very interesting fully restored Panther Stroud that was being ridden - with a grin from ear to ear by the rider - in one of the very first of the reborn Arbuthnot trials.

I'm afraid I have indulged myself in a little Photoshopping to give the machine passing through the Stratford Tony Splash a suitable 'period' look by adding a sepia hue - just like the very old photographs.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-13966100-1395414205_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

I've hunted another Panther Stroud image from my Offroadarchive. It depicts Bill and Mick Wilkinson's Dad, Dick, riding his Panther Stroud in the Allan Jefferies Trophy Trial in 1952.

Enjoy.

Attached Images
  • panther001.jpg
  • Like 1

Hi,

This really is an interesting old beast, belongs to Dave Thornber of the Yorks Classic club and, although I'm not sure, I feel it started life as a pre-war Stroud with girder forks on to which Dave grafted the teleforks - which look right in themselves.

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Dave in action on the beast - and he always seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself.

Cheers.

Attached Images
  • stroud009.jpg
Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

Hi,

This is one of those occasions when I wish that colour film had been readily available! Nowadays with even the simplest 'point and shoot' digital cameras, colour images are taken for granted, but 'digital' was still a research project in the laboratory when I took this photograph.

Yes, there were colour slides - but I was working full-time as a communications engineer, so photography was just an add-on hobby to my motorcycling - and reporting for T+MXNews was a sideline, but meant that we went to a trial, travelled back home, then into the darkroom, develop the films, print the photographs when the negatives had dried, an hour or so later, then, usually just after midnight caption the photos, type the report and stick it all in an envelope and dash into the local sorting office to make sure it left straight away to Morecambe.

And that is why 98% of the archive is in black and white.

Why am I telling you - well this is one shot that cries out to be in colour - it shows Mick Worthy on his Panther Stroud - but, in the spirit of fun that was what early pre-65 trialling was all about - guess what his bike was called..........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-31102600-1395909541_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 9 years later...
On 3/27/2014 at 8:39 AM, laird387 said:

Hi,

This is one of those occasions when I wish that colour film had been readily available! Nowadays with even the simplest 'point and shoot' digital cameras, colour images are taken for granted, but 'digital' was still a research project in the laboratory when I took this photograph.

Yes, there were colour slides - but I was working full-time as a communications engineer, so photography was just an add-on hobby to my motorcycling - and reporting for T+MXNews was a sideline, but meant that we went to a trial, travelled back home, then into the darkroom, develop the films, print the photographs when the negatives had dried, an hour or so later, then, usually just after midnight caption the photos, type the report and stick it all in an envelope and dash into the local sorting office to make sure it left straight away to Morecambe.

And that is why 98% of the archive is in black and white.

Why am I telling you - well this is one shot that cries out to be in colour - it shows Mick Worthy on his Panther Stroud - but, in the spirit of fun that was what early pre-65 trialling was all about - guess what his bike was called..........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-31102600-1395909541_thumb.jpg

Hi, found this image whilst researching Panther Springer Strouds, they appear to be very rare beasts indeed!! Do you know if this was a genuine factory bike or one that the rider converted himself please? As for the name I’m guessing the Pink Panther!

On 3/24/2014 at 9:59 AM, laird387 said:

Hi,

We saw Alan Cox with his Panther Stroud regularly in the Talmag and the Arbuthnot, here he is enjoying a 1980s Talmag on a fine but chilly January morning on the Surrey heathland.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-90127600-1395655189_thumb.jpg

I remember Alan Cox and his Stroud saw him at many events in the Kent, South East area. Great photos of him in typically enthusiastic action.

• Like 1