Trials Newbie

apoole6

Hey guys! So as the title says I am a trials newbie and recently purchased a 1985 TY350 Yamaha trials bike as my first. Anyways, I would like to see if there are any mods to making the ty 350 smoother and maybe a tad bit lighter? I was told this would be a good starter and from a lot of older gentlemen, it is a great bike and it is!

I am practicing the basics (also trying to jump the gun and do fancy stuff) and I have to say it's kind of difficult. Bunnyhopping the ty is kind of a pain but I also think im not using my suspension to the fullest.

Well with that said, im in the states and there isn't many trials clubs where I am located so I practice around the yard and have been watching Ryan Young tutorials. Anyone have any tips themselves of how I should set up a trials bike/modifications? Other thing to is my wrists always cramp up(they do this when I ride mx) and I start loosing control of the clutch. All in all, trials is very challenging but quite fun and I know its gonna take time to get really good.

• Like 2

Welcome! Trials is big fun,but it's best when shared with others :icon_salut: If you state your location I'd bet there's someone to ride with.

Ty350's aren't like modern bikes but the heavy flywheel effect does have it's advantages.Make sure you don't have too much rear sag,that'll kill steering.Handlebars should be rotated forward compared to mxer.One finger on clutch and front brake at all times,if you have to add a clutch extender do so that it works with 1 finger pull. Levers close to horizontal. TY350's don't care a whole lot to be ridden like a trail bike,they prefer to be ridden between section,sit a bit while you inspect and find your line,then enter and ride the section. If "trail" ridden for extended periods the whole "pinging" and "surging" surfaces and the bike just feels unpleasant.Ridden like your in a event she'll purr and pull smooth and steady.

I only sold my big TY because I had too many projects,now I kinda regret it!

I had a TY350 for a while. Learned a lot on the bike. What a tractor for climbing hills!

The main improvements I made were primarily normal maintenance activities, like changing oils, lubing bearings and cables, cleaning brake shoes and drums, etc.

Single best improvement was to add larger foot pegs.

Try this.http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/26800-ty350/ The ty mono was the best improvement in bikes ever for trials. Taking 8- 14 oz off the flywheel was the second best improvement. The best improvement was a 1986. The `86 had a great shock with infinite adjustment. Great bike that was capable of almost anything. Have fun!

Hey thanks guys! I did read somewhere that a lot of guys consider the stock peg location to "high" and of course wider pegs. I'm definitely would like wider pegs for better comfort. I also read that some guys mod the drum brakes with grooved brake pads and/or stronger cables. But I do agree she pulls like a tractor and its very easy to wheelie it :D

What part of the US are you located in? There are trials riders all over but there may not be an established club.

Try rolling your bars forward or back in the clamps to be more comfortable for the wrists. Make sure the clutch cable and all pivots are well lubricated to make them easier to operate. Moving the perches further in on the bars will give you more leverage on the clutch and brakes. You really want to use only 1 (or maybe 2) fingers on the levers so the other fingers can always be gripping the bars.

welcome apoole6, hope you manage to link up with some other riders in your area. i'm sure there would be a few around. all good tips above, you could check the bike setup and suspension tips here: www.wdtc.org.au/how-to-ride-trials.htm

you'll be going great if you can bunny hop an older trials bike!

Hey sorry for the late response guys but I am located in North Carolina so pretty much East Coast. I might adjust the handlebars a little bit and I have adjusted/played around with the perches. Surprisingly for a front drum brake I can do stoppies really well if I use 2-3 fingers.

I do have to say wheelie's are getting better for me. Been trying to practice the balance point and control of the bike. Only thing is the rear brake feels like it takes effort to stop.

Hi I am just getting into trials and have bought a 2014 montesa 260 4rt could anyone advise me of places to practice in the north west / north Wales I have just been out on my 1st ride to wern ddu quarry and can say this was a great place and will be going again in the near future @ £13 per trials bike per day it was good vlue but am always looking for more places if anyone on here is interested in going there the contact number is 07760173247 speak to clwyd he is friendly and helpful and will take you around the 7 acre site before you go out