Chain Problems

lpd

So I'm out on a ride on the weekend. I'm with a friend and we pack extra gas so that we can explore this mountain range locally. Mostly Enduro trails but some really nice hill climbs. Almost at the end of the day my chain pops off the sprocket and tangles up on the smaller front sprocket. Now I pack some tools for repairs, but this one is so jammed it is not repairable in the bush and I end up pushing for about three miles.... :blink:

I checked my chain tension before leaving and even after fixing the chain, and it has about the width of a thumb between the tensioner and swing arm. Any ideas what else I can check to prevent the walk of shame :wall:

Your chain is probably toast, so no amount of tightening will make up for the wear in the links.

Grab your chain at 3 o'clock on the rear sprocket (at around 7:00pm :blink: )

and pull to the rear.

If you can pull the chain back enough to expose half a sprocket tooth, get a new chain.

You could buy an o-ring chain and never think about it again except to hit it with some silicone spray after a wash.

you have probably just put your split link on the wrong way swo when you have bashed it against a rock it has come apart, then later, after a bit of wear and tear its jut snapped the link. not an uncommen problem i've have it happen to me twice this year. just got to be careful when putting the link on that you put the pin on it right so that if the chain hits a rock whilst spinning round it cant flick it off.

Of course it may just be because you have a knackered chain. in which case jsut keep replacing it, and oil them regularly. not much more to do really.

make sure your sprockets are in good order, this can cause the chain to snag and make the chain jump off.

DONT BUY AN O-RING THEY ZAP MOST YOUR POWER IN RESISTANCE FROM O-RINGS!!

I bought an 'O' Ring once, but I only just made it home. Only had to carry it half a mile in a carrier bag, but it had sapped all my energy already.

They should be carried in a lead container to avoid this kind of danger - any further I may not have made it home just from the O-Ring bombardment. And it doesn't wear off, they have a half-life of 86 years very similar to that of plutonium.

Sorry :blink: What d'ya mean Luke?

Well I checked the chain and it appears to be worn as when I pull on it @ 3:00 on the sprocket I get a fair amount of play. When I went to my Gasgas supplier he recommended changing the sprocket as well indicating that both the chain and sprocket wear at approx. the same rate. My sprocket doesn't look severly worn, but does have a couple teeth that are worn more than others.

I purchased a new sprocket anyways (price was affordable), but is my sup0plier pulling my leg?