4Rt No Rear Grip ..... Just A Myth?

wayne509

I was out today at the buzzard practice ground on my 4rt and found it totally different to the ossa.. it felt like riding on ice until I figured it out. No clutch, maybe a gear higher and don't worry about hanging off the back as it has ace suspension and wont bite you in the bum. It rewards a more definite riding style but if you have the committment it will make you look great.

• Like 3

Hi wayne509. I've just bought a 4 RT. I havn't been out on it yet because i'm at sea . Interesting to read the comments and i tend to agree on some thing and think you should be mindfull of it .

Let the bike do the work,let the turning force of the engine pull you rather than chop the drive off with the clutch like i have to on my GashGash.Think that high idle speed has been put there for more than one reason and as it's part of the settings for a map, i doubt compromise is the reason for it.Think "Drivabillity" may have been in mind.

You can totally disregard this comment as i can't state fact here,just what i have focused in my mind on how to handle the Mont .

Incidently ,the guy i bought the GasGas from was huge.Looked like a wrecking ball , 6ft5 and 20 stone and he had a new 4 RT and loved it.I'm 5ft10 and 11st7,and resemble a coat stand .

Ted

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

I think there can be a grip problem when riders move from 2 stroke to 4 stroke. Although I have had a lot of time on 4 strokes near all my competition experience is on 2 strokes. I have got used to the firing intervals you need to keep above to prevent stalling. When I ride a single cylinder stroke I half expect it to stop at any moment because of the lower firing frequency at the the same RPM. This is possibly why some ex 2T riders are inclined to rev them more and loose grip, they tend to subconsciously expect to ride 4T at similar firing interval to 2T.

My instinct is that 4T is inherently a better gripper.

It would be interesting if a physicist / engineer could devise an objective test to determine whether 2T or 4T had the best inherent gripping capability.

I remember the 2T Moto GP era when the firing strokes on 4 cylinder engines were timed to give similar power characteristics to a single large cylinder, resulting in improved traction and tyre wear.