4Rt Oil In Airbox - Help !

coriolis

My friend took his air filter out last night to find quite a lot of what seems to be engine oil in the bottom.

The thing is, the breather pipe that comes from the top of the engine, into the airbox seems perfectly clean, and the small catchment tank that is located up by the tank, inline on the breather is also perfectly clean.

I don't see any other way of the oil getting there, but it seems strange that the breather hasn't a drop of oil in it.

Anyone have any ideas ?!

Thanks

How long has he had the bike ? reason i ask is that some owners can be a bit over zealous with oiling the air filter (manual says to use engine oil to do this) and it may be remnants that has dripped from oily filters over a few months ? has the engine oil level dropped a simialr amount ?

if not i say give it a good clean out and then clean and oil the filter as per manual and see if any more oil gathers in there. over the next few rides out.

There's a breather pipe behind the cylinder that comes out of the top of the crank case. It's quite a thick black pipe and easy to spot. If there's any oil it's likely to have come from there. Sometimes oil from the air filter mixes with water and collects in the bottom of the filter box !

The oil comes from the cylinder head breather. Due to legislation, whether its european or japanese, it states that no fluids are to go to ground. To do that they put the breather in the airbox, which is fine until the bike is running upside down or on its side and it fills your airbox with engine oil.

Disconnect the pipe from the airbox, throw away the tank and put the head breather pipe down the side of the radiator into the sump guard

• Like 1

The oil comes from the cylinder head breather. Due to legislation, whether its european or japanese, it states that no fluids are to go to ground. To do that they put the breather in the airbox, which is fine until the bike is running upside down or on its side and it fills your airbox with engine oil.

Disconnect the pipe from the airbox, throw away the tank and put the head breather pipe down the side of the radiator into the sump guard

Well, that's trout fishing on the Swale up the creek then.

Don't they have Beta's on the Swale then