Waterproofing / Smoking Evo Saga

gassaman

Well guys Iv found the reason for the water in air box saga, I removed the air filter and low and behold muddy water marks down the rear right side of box, further inspection revealed a hole in box at the top, looks like when drilling bolt seat out to fit cable tie drill bit has popped a hole in said box, sealed hole up so thats sorted, have foam read to fit once I get a new filter next week, I drained carb, cleared plug, fired up first kick but still smokey, reset mixture to 1 1/2 but no change, I guess the next step is to have carb removed, cleaned and set up, thats a job for my local guru once he's back from the SSDT. Oh the joys of trials lol.

Thanks guys for all your input and advice.

:icon_salut:

Yes it does Dan Williams, kicks over first time, idle is fine, its a bit flat ( blurts ) when revved hard, under load ( ridden ) its pretty flat and sluggish, smokey either standing or ridden. The only thing I can think of is the carb needs an overhaul, Iv changed fuel, oil, cleaned filter, new plug, adjusted mixture etc. A carb overhaul is beyond my capabilities at the minute so i will wait until next week to catch my local dealer. Im pretty much new to trials so all this is a learning curve for me, I get the basics so all help is a bonus. :}

We learn by doing. Is it a Mikuni or Keihin? They have slightly different disassembly procedures but all two stroke carbs used in trials are pretty similar. The reeds are simple to check once the carb is off just undo the four bolts that hold them into the inlet tract. If they are not broken or held open more than just a crack they are OK. Usually if a reed is broken the engine won't idle because the intake port timing expects reeds to be there. You may have damaged a crank seal causing engine oil to leak into the crank chamber below the piston. The crank seal test is probably beyond you at this stage. Did you purge all the water out of your exhaust? If you've got water in the pipe it may not run quite right and smoke as the oil residue in the intermediate muffler and final muffler packing dry out.

• Like 1