Sherpa 190 Shocks Shock

d250b

I can't imagine they cast different legs so I'd assume it is the tubes that are a different length. As pointed out in the above post your frame looks correct for a 190 as does the bottom clamp. What I can't figure out is the 190 tubes shown in PSchrauber's picture as they don't look like they are from a 190... The knurled part looks as though it would sit below the bottom clamp but maybe it's just an illusion. The tube in the bottom picture looks more like a 190

To the fork that came from a 190 I can only relay on the previous owner, I never saw the bike just the pair of forks and yokes. For me the main points were the length of the stanchions and the internal parts. After a short play of questions and answers my needs were clarified. Who knows what happend with the bike and through how many hands it has went.

But the bottom picture shows one leg of my 199b, here I am confident and I have all ressources from the build in the end of 09 in 1981 until it was sold to me, (I' am the second owner).

Woody, thanks for the extra info, especially about the Ossa ones, could've been an expensive mistake that!! The other thing I've had pointed out to me is that by buying a second hand pair of forks which are intact, i could strip the damned things down and uncover another pair of stanchions of different length!!

I've made some enquiries today and I'm waiting to hear about the chance of some new old stock tubes which would be a good solution i think.

I've also noticed that the make up of the dampers is slightly different as well, with a different "thick washer" and different "perforated washer" but considering the bigger tasks in front of me I think I might just overlook this as I can't imagine its going to be a big deal.

Thanks again for the help.

Try John Collins at Port Talbot, JC Motorcycles. Used to be a Bultaco dealer, knows a lot about them and has a stash of used parts. May have some suitable forks.

It sounds as though someone has probably damaged a fork in the past and replaced it without realising there are differences. One of the the problems of 40 year old dirt bikes.... You never know what they've been through.

Edited by woody

thanks Woody, I'll keep that contact and if my first line of enquiry doesn't pan out I'll be straight onto him.

Very true! The bike's been through the wars I think. Theres a patch on the frame behind the headstock (made out of a bit of old car exhaust we think) which may have been put on for a crack but it was hard to find. Anyway my blacksmith has had the patch off and has it sorted out and i'll collect today to go for blasting and paint.

I've never attempted anything like this before and I underestimated the potential for issues. I'm not wanting a show pony just a good usable bike with all the right bits working properly but its going to take a bit to get there. Need to take into account that the bike is nearly 40 years old and for most of it's life whoever owned it wasn't able to break something and then just nip in the house and search the internet, find a part in Surrey the USA or Europe and get it delivered in a day or two!! it was a different world and home made bushes or make-do bits would have to be the norm.

hopefully will have some tubes by the end of today......

Cheers

D